• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How old is Florrie?

Bunshine

Alpha Buck
When I got Florrie I was told that she was 1. She'd been kept in tiny crate so had no muscle and was very skinny and brittle. She has definitely improved since we've had her but I'm starting to think she's much older than 1, so was wondering how to tell her age? I asked he vet but he said he didn't know:roll: Teeth maybe?

Its very difficult to age an adult Rabbit so dont be too hard on your Vet :)

Have you had Bun spayed? If so the condition of the uterus and ovaries may give some idea ie 'less than 1 year' or 'over 1 year'

The general body shape can give some clues. Older Does often have a larger dewlap as everything gravitates south. They may lose the 'roundness' over their rump.

The colour and growth rate of the teeth changes with age.

Rex coat colour and density changes with age.

The outer toenails of some older Rabbits can curl upwards and outwards, even when not over-long.

But really its not an exact science and a 'guesstimate' is probably the best you'd be able to achieve.

:wave: Yes, she is spayed but vet said 'don't worry about her age' so didn't look our for anything when he did the op. I love my vet to bits but sometimes he's a bit too chilled out - I'd like to know roughly how old she is.

Her teeth are quite discoloured compared to Pedro's pearly whites, but he's only 9 months old. She doesn't have much roundness at all and doesn't tend to run/jump but I suppose those things and the yellow teeth could be a result of bad diet/living conditions. Bless her, maybe she is 1?? If only they did Oil of Olay for bunnies...

Back