• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sand pits for turf?

MissMinnie

Mama Doe
I was thinking of getting some plastic sand pits and growing turf for the rabbits. This way I can move the sandpit once they have nibbled and can re grow the turf. Has anyone else done this? Is it best to put gravel at the bottom, then soil, then a piece of turf? I have returfed their enclosure several times but they wreck it!

Hmmm that sounds a great idea. My two girls live in a kennel and run convert, but theyve completey destroyed the turf in there (they needed a tunnel apparently) and the sandpit of long grass would be great!

I do this for Flora and Parsnip since their shed and run is on slabs. But turf is HEAVY! I grow it in gravel trays (about 52cm by 40cm) from the garden centre (drilled for drainage). You need to keep it well watered because it dries out quickly in a container. Therefore, you might find you can't move a sand pit once you've got some damp soil and turf in it.

Thanks. What are gravel trays? Trays with gravel in?

Nah - they're just a large, fairly shallow but heavy duty plastic tray for gardeners. About 15cm deep by 52cm long and about 40ish cm wide. Just the right size for carrying around the garden and not too heavy once they've got turf and soil in them.

Back