• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Beebee has been to the vets..Its Snuffles

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
Hes got baytril.
Has anyone elses bunny had this?? (Silly question probably)..but any tips??
Ta very muchly.xx

BTW,do hope Ive posted in right place.:oops:

Ive got a bunny with snuffles at the moment...not sure I can offer tips as such but we've had a course of baytril and another of septrin to no avail...the vet is taking a swab next week to see what is causing it so we can treat with the right antibiotic.

I was advised to keep her away from my other bunnies though.

Both Truffle and Bean have had snuffles before. We were given baytril.

Both cleared up really quickly. However, we did a couple of things to help - we removed any sawdust (don't use it anymore), we also changed our hay to a dust free variety and also swept the mats in their home everyday. We found that this really helped. It turned out that it may not have been snuffles but an allergy. This may help?

Ive got a bunny with snuffles at the moment...not sure I can offer tips as such but we've had a course of baytril and another of septrin to no avail...the vet is taking a swab next week to see what is causing it so we can treat with the right antibiotic.

I was advised to keep her away from my other bunnies though.

Beebee lives in his own quarters.Thank heavens for that....my vet didnt say to separate but I think its common sense.
I hope the baytril does something....Let me know how your bunny gets on...
Beebees teeth are gonna be looked at while hes under having his pockets picked...but Cathy advised to get him over this first.We arent thinking teeth as hes really young and they appear ok currently.I am concerned though.:(

I was at the mechanics the other day...theres a sign up on the wall..it says (Im gonna clean it up a bit)..."If it has boobies or wheels,youre gonna have trouble."....can we extend that to "if it has four legs" aswell?????:lol:

Hi Yvette,

Sorry to hear about your bun.

I haven't to my knowledge actually had a bun with Snuffles, but I would like to confirm that it's vital that you keep your infected bun away from any other bun (apart from bonded buns of course as they will already have been exposed) to prevent the infection from spreading.

Also make sure that you do everything you can to prevent spread like hand washing, utensils, clothing etc.

I think that anti-biotics are the way forward but it can take a while. There are members on here who have good knowledge so I am sure that someone with more info will be along soon.

Good luck.

Both Truffle and Bean have had snuffles before. We were given baytril.

Both cleared up really quickly. However, we did a couple of things to help - we removed any sawdust (don't use it anymore), we also changed our hay to a dust free variety and also swept the mats in their home everyday. We found that this really helped. It turned out that it may not have been snuffles but an allergy. This may help?

Thanks,this has been in practice since before Beebee...Im now using megazorb for all my babies,ferrets included, hay is dust free lovely Devon hay.
Im really worried..hear all sorts of horror stories.

Hi Yvette,

Sorry to hear about your bun.

I haven't to my knowledge actually had a bun with Snuffles, but I would like to confirm that it's vital that you keep your infected bun away from any other bun (apart from bonded buns of course as they will already have been exposed) to prevent the infection from spreading.

Also make sure that you do everything you can to prevent spread like hand washing, utensils, clothing etc.

I think that anti-biotics are the way forward but it can take a while. There are members on here who have good knowledge so I am sure that someone with more info will be along soon.

Good luck.

Thanks for your input.....infection control has been part of my life with work etc so Im doing what I can.....
I just have to be patient but its not my forte...:oops::lol:

You want to speak to Maizy (Sorry I forget her real name).

She gave me some excellent advise on a herbal remedy. Its no substitute for anti biox of course but I found it really helped boost the immune system.

My tiny nethie Joey had baytril for snuffles a few years ago.
His snuffles were really aggressive and he was really poorly for the first few days, but the Baytril worked for him quite quickly.

If you're using Baytril though it MUST be a long course of at least 3 weeks to completely clear up the infection, otherwise it is highly likely to reoccur after a short course.

Hi Yvette :wave:

Yeah my little bunny Kirk has snuffles and is on baytril. He's in a right grump - he hates taking the medicine and wriggles like crazy but I keep telling him it's for his own good.

I am taking him back to the vet on monday for them to check him over. He certainly looks better - the discharge has cleared up.

Really hope your bun is better soon xx

Back