• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Handling (first timer)

Toadie

Alpha Buck
Frodo is a christmas present from my hubby and is an indoor bun (hubby now occasionally moans about his fall down the pecking order :lol:). Frodo is quite happy to literally walk all over us, jump on us and loves to do mad binky laps round the flat. However, being a first time bunny owner I'm not sure how to handle him. I have managed to pick him up a few times, but always put him straight down as soon as he started to struggle. I tried wrapping him up in a towel, but he seems to instinctively know what I'm planning and runs a mile!. I don't wan't to stress him - or me - out.
However, I took him to the vet last week for his VHD shot (I am lucky to have found a very rabbit savy vet) and I have come to the conclusion that Frodo is having a laugh with me!:oops: He even started to fall asleep as the vet was examining his 'nether regions'!:lol: The vet did show me how to pick him up properly and did stress that it was important that he was handled more, particularly for the aftercare after his big 'op', but once again Frodo just knows whats's going to happen and runs.
I am going to be boarding Frodo for a few nights in June while H and I go away and I am slightly ashamed at the thought of the boarder struggling with him, especially with 'botty' checks. I do this by lying on the floor and lifting his tail! :oops::lol:
So please, I am open to any help and suggestions to make mine - and his - life easier!

The 'Falling asleep' whilst being examined probably means he went in to a 'trance': this is actually a response to a very stressful situation: equivalent to 'playing dead' when caught by a predator.
I find it helps once you've managed to pick them up to have all four feet on a surface, either your arm or against your chest, so the rabbit doesn't feel like he's going to fall

I agree with that to ... my buns are much calmer if all four paws are on your arm/chest/somewhere safe. Also have confidence, sounds silly but if you show them you are picking them up then they seem to accept it!

Hope that helps a little
wendy

if you show them you are picking them up then they seem to accept it!

Try telling my lot that's what is meant to happen :lol: I do agree with the confidence thing though. If you are not sure you are not going to drop him how can you expect him to feel safe.

I always try not to let go of mine if they struggle and put them down once they are calm. I find this is best as they just hop off and do their own thing as opposed to being put down whilst stressed as then they run away and hide. Try picking him up, putting him down when calm and then giving him a treat so he associates it with something good.

I'm useless at picking Daisy up - can't do it at all :oops:

The o/h is very confident and does manage it, but then we can't check her bum because he's having to hold onto her so tightly:roll:

I end up on the floor lifting her tail up too.

Back