• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Max age for spey?

rhiannon.hughes

Warren Scout
Hi all,

You prob won't remember me as it's been a couple of years since I posted last :oops:. As a quick recap, I found my bunny on Christmas a couple of years ago, and didn't know her age/history or anything, couldnt find her owner, and when I did a few weeks later they werent bothered :evil:.

Anyway I didnt' get her speyed initially as I wasnt sure how old she was and didnt want her to go through surgery if she was really old. It's now over 3 years later and I don't think she's as old as I initially thought (neither do my vets). She is in great health, litter trained and is a wonderful bun. So I would really like to spey her and she can then have a little friend.

I am sorry for the long post, I just wanted to make sure that I am doing the right thing by her. If you were me would you risk the op?

Thank you for reading this mega waffly post:oops:

Yes I would. For me the benefits of a bunny friend far outweigh the risks of surgery and better to get it done now than leave it any longer if she seems in good health. If you are worried about the anaesthetic you could ask the vet to run bloods first to check her kidney and liver function.

Thanks for the quick replies guys :D, you've really put my mind at ease. Noel is a really loving bun towards me and to a lesser extent my oh :lol: she always seeks me out to sit on me and give me bunny kisses (she's a house bunny) she is vaccinated and I have discussed speying with the vet (just wasn't sure over the age issue). I think i'll get her done in the next few weeks as oh is off work.

Hopefully (maybe) after Harley has had the snip (he's not old enough at the mo') I can try and introduce them to each other. Harley is my new bunny that we acquired (I couldn't say no) he is a young dwarf lop and is gorgeous. :love:

Btw (sorry for the 1001 questions :oops:) I haven't had a baby bun for over 10 years, is it normal for them to eat and drink A LOT Harley hasn't stopped munching hay since he arrived and has eaten all his carrots in about 10 seconds flat each day, I can't believe how much he eats :roll:

Sounds to me like you have a little cracker there!! At least if hes munching like that,you will know when hes off his dinner!!:lol:

With your older lady bun..I got my Mrs B the same way..wasnt sure of age but she was a youngster,but had her speyed anyway.Lots of painkillers and her tasiest treats for after the op...stuff you know shes gonna eat.Get that tummy working!!!xx

Back