• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post spay... help please =[

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
Well Cleo was spayed yesterday... when we got her home she had a tiny bit of hay, but since then she hasn't had anything. As soon as she got back she was producing normal poo's.

I've got up this morning and she has produced piles of diarrea type poo's :(

I'm waiting for my vets to ring me back, but can someone tell me if this is normal please??

Thanks,

Lou xx

it is probebely stress related and or in reaction to the metacam pain relief she wil lhave been given. try and get her to eat anything is good. so dandilions, greens, apple, hay , soaked pellets etc, hay or grass obviously try not to overload her system but the main thing is getting her gut continually moving and her eating again. you can give her a bowl of critical care if you like this is high fibre and good for rehydrating her. x

See, I'm so angry with the vets :censored:

I asked them for something to aid with her guts and they said that she should be ok as she has another appointment tomorrow for a checkup. Therefore, what else can I use instead of critical care?

I've given her vege... but she wont have any, hay and ready grass.. and she's not interested, or pellets
:(

See, I'm so angry with the vets :censored:

I asked them for something to aid with her guts and they said that she should be ok as she has another appointment tomorrow for a checkup. Therefore, what else can I use instead of critical care?

I've given her vege... but she wont have any, hay and ready grass.. and she's not interested, or pellets
:(

You need to call the vets and say that you're not happy, she's not eating and you need some Supreme Recovery satchets and a syringe.

Hope she gets better soon.

It is probably unformed caecotrophs and this can happen during the first 24-36 hours post spay.
DONT PANIC !!

Her guts are very likely to settle down today.

She probably does need more pain relief. Do you know what analgesia was given yesterday?

xx

you can use hipp baby food the apple and red berry compote.. not much in terms of goodness as asuch but it will be food going into her. also you can try carrot and parsnip babyfood and also can try mushing up pellets with warm water or porij oats with warm water i would posibly say if its ben more than 24 hours she needs more pain relief if still not eating... various rabbtis need different amounts... dora needed only the initial injection...where as coco was on metacam for over a week.(pulled stitches etc plus other complications)x

Thanks for your replies.

She hasn't eaten at all.. I saw her have literally one strand of hay when we got her back home yesterday, but nothing since - her veges are untouched :(

It's almost like she has wee'd the poo's... and there's a few piles of it :(

I've phoned the vets and she is going in for 11:20am and they'll have a look. I'm not leaving without having a syringe to at least give her water as she's not drinking either :(

She is weeing, but she is just staying laid on her wee.. she doesn't look comfortable at all.

xx

Thanks for your replies.

She hasn't eaten at all.. I saw her have literally one strand of hay when we got her back home yesterday, but nothing since - her veges are untouched :(

It's almost like she has wee'd the poo's... and there's a few piles of it :(

I've phoned the vets and she is going in for 11:20am and they'll have a look. I'm not leaving without having a syringe to at least give her water as she's not drinking either :(

She is weeing, but she is just staying laid on her wee.. she doesn't look comfortable at all.

xx

You need to stand your ground re more pain relief. If she had Metacam yesterday she can have more today. My Vet will prescribe up to 0.6mg/kg/24hrs. It can be given in two 12 hourly doses of 0.3mg/kg.

Sending vibes for her xx

*Please dont let this be another 'have to fight for analgesia' scenario*............

Demand more pain relief Lou. I'm carless today and for the next week:evil::evil: otherwise I'd come over. Sending vibes. I'm in all day so ring when you can.

Lou has rung me from the vet to say that Cleo has been admitted as they suspect a blockage...but would that cause the runs???? Lou says Cleo looks really unwell and despite being kept in clean surroundings she smells peculiar. Lots of vibes needed as the vet said things don't look too hopeful at the moment. Surely it's early days to say that:?

Lou has rung me from the vet to say that Cleo has been admitted as they suspect a blockage...but would that cause the runs???? Lou says Cleo looks really unwell and despite being kept in clean surroundings she smells peculiar. Lots of vibes needed as the vet said things don't look too hopeful at the moment. Surely it's early days to say that:?

:shock:

Good grief I am so shocked.
Mega vibes for Cleo

xx

Thank you for updating this thread for my Hilda, I really appreciate it.

Just nipped home to get some hay, pellets and vege and her water bottle... then going back to the vets, just waiting for the bus to be due. I never anticipated she'd be staying in, and I didn't want to tempt fate by taking food with her.

I hope she is ok, thank you for the vibes and please keep them coming.

I will update this thread when I can xxx

HI. An udate from Lou. Cleo's looking a bit better. Vet examined her again and what she felt as a blockage has gone. She's been given some painkiller, abx and gut stimulant, and when they ruled out a blockage they gave her some science recovery. So now it's just a waiting game. Lou's staying in town now in case she can bring her home later as it'll save on bus fares to and fro. She's been reassured that there'll be no admittance or nursing fees, just the cost of the drugs, so that's a relief for her.:) I'll udate again when I next hear from her. Keep the pooing vibes coming for the beautiful rexy girly!!

Hope Cleo is ok......Cinders was speyed a couple of weeks ago and she was much the same(no runny poo tho) ....it took a good 3 days for her to be eating normally and to be moving around well too despite metacam.

I've just had a call from Lou with an udpate. She looks a bit brighter and is sitting up instead of stretched out , and has also been cleaning herself. BUT she hasn't eaten anything unaided yet, nor has she passed anything so Lou is still stressed and worried about her. She's been sent home with some recovery sachets and metacam, and also told to give her some pineapple juice. Any helpful hints? Lou's transferred her to a smaller cage and using a heatpad.

Glad she is home
I would say try feeding her little and often with syringe and in between offer her any treat type veg/fruit..grate it up as poorly buns often can't be bothered to bite off chunks but will try grated carrot or apple
Fruit baby fods are good to syringe as I said earlier Lou
and remember to keep her warm
Will keep everything crossed xxx

Back