• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small patch of hair loss..update ? ringworm

Bluebell's Mum

Warren Scout
I have a baby rabbit who is 10 weeks old. I have just noted a small area of hair loss above one of her eyes this morning. The underlying skin is a little scaly. I cannot see any other areas and she is fine in herself. I have an appoint for the vet this evening but wondered if anyone had any ideas what it could be? Possibly a mite??
Update- just been to vet who checked a scraping and said there were no mites to be seen. Thinks it could be a ringworm infection. She said this was not that common in rabbits and we were given Surolan. A sample has been sent to culture for fungi. Anybody have any experience of this?

Last edited:
probebbly mites i would think but i dont know how old a bunny should be before using treatment such as ivermetican.. consult the vet on that one. it could also be an allergy to bedidng or mites but brought on by stress or other issues.

I have a baby rabbit who is 10 weeks old. I have just noted a small area of hair loss above one of her eyes this morning. The underlying skin is a little scaly. I cannot see any other areas and she is fine in herself. I have an appoint for the vet this evening but wondered if anyone had any ideas what it could be? Possibly a mite??
Update- just been to vet who checked a scraping and said there were no mites to be seen. Thinks it could be a ringworm infection. She said this was not that common in rabbits and we were given Surolan. A sample has been sent to culture for fungi. Anybody have any experience of this?

If its ringworm its not a problem in itself easily treat BUT it is infectious and can be passed to other animals and humans so you will have to use gloves until cleared.
Normally shows as white dandruff around buns back of neck and hairloss in a circular pattern.

My Shauny was tested for that, and it was negative. The vet then came to the conclusion that it was an allergy/or stress.

And since we got our SophieAnnie its cleared up:shock::D.
x

I have had lots of guinea pigs who have come in with ring worm, they initially had a tiny patch of hair loss and then developed slightly raised scabby areas. We treated them with an anti-fungal very similiar to canestan applying it with a cotton bud. Disposable gloves were essential to use when handling the buns when treating them whilst they had scabby areas. Using a new cotton bud each time additional cream was taken from the tube to prevent reinfection by contaminating the tube. Washing any areas of your body that had come in contact with the buns afterwards in hibiscrub is advisable as this is also an antifungal and also cleaning of the tube with hibiscrub afterwards to prevent reinfection

Whilst it is quite infectious and easily transmitted, I have treated manya guineas pigs with this and I have never developed ringworm, if you using good quarantine precautions and good hand hygeine you should not have a problem with spread. Ring worm once diagnosed is very easy to treat.

Back