• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need help about something

Rose

Mama Doe
As i have said in several threads that i am having to move one of the rabbits out into the garden. Molly and Jack are not bonded and after 3 failed attempts i am leaving it that as Molly was getting very stressed and i do not want her to get poorly.

I am having to choose which bun goes out side in a hutch run combo

I know single rabbits should not go outside because they get lonely etc etc but i will give them both loads of attention and spend lots of time with them everyday.

I would love to get Molly a husban but at the moment will not be able to afford to keep another rabbit.

The help i am needing with is i'm starting to change my mind about who goes outside.

I was thinking Molly because she is not scared of anything and i think she would love the run/hutch combo and would be best suited. But it got me thinking about Jack although he is a wuss and freaks out at lot of things, hes not much of a people person and although gets lots of attention and time spent with me. Molly loves people but this where i cant decide.

I still have no good answers on this one. :(

Have you tried having them bonded by someone at a shelter or something? Sometimes they can work magic on two very different bunnies.

Also, is there a third option? Could you keep them both inside in different rooms? To build a NIC condo is pretty cheap, considering the amount of space you get out of them in your construction.

I would definitely keep working towards getting a new husbun. Foodwise, it's not too expensive to add another bun, because the bigger bags are often a big cheaper per pound, and you could rescue a bun who is already neutered and litter trained, which will definitely save you some money. They could also help bond for you.

Sorry I can't be of any help. Just want to make sure there isn't an option unturned!

I have had 3 failed attempts with them. Theres a lot of chasing and hair pulling on Jacks part and then it seems to calm down but then everytime Jack comes close to Molly she is terrified and runs of which upsets jack and we go again. Its like a endless circle. Molly then starts to look so stressed out and terrified.

I may see if i can get someone to help bond them in the future for now 1 one of them still needs to go out and they will have more space because ones in side with crate and free range in the room and the other outside in the a large hutch and run. and then even a bigger run for both of them when its nice out side.

Its just choosing who to put outside

I have had 3 failed attempts with them. Theres a lot of chasing and hair pulling on Jacks part and then it seems to calm down but then everytime Jack comes close to Molly she is terrified and runs of which upsets jack and we go again. Its like a endless circle. Molly then starts to look so stressed out and terrified.

I may see if i can get someone to help bond them in the future for now 1 one of them still needs to go out and they will have more space because ones in side with crate and free range in the room and the other outside in the a large hutch and run. and then even a bigger run for both of them when its nice out side.

Its just choosing who to put outside

did you limit their space? so they cant run off or chase?

If you bond them... they could go out together? so no-one is lonely?
The bun inside will be lonely... when your spending time with the one outside... and the same with the outside bun.
If its a cold day i doubt you would want to spend most of the day outside so that bun doesnt get lonely?

i hope you do whats best for both buns xx

I would honestly suggest you ask someone else to bond them for you - it sounds to me as if the bonding was going pretty normally, but it is really difficult as an owner to watch buns looking stressed and unhappy and after 3 attempts it sounds as if it would be better if someone with more experience gave it a go for you.

The problem is that you say you will spend a lot of time and attention with the outdoor bun, but what constitutes a lot? Say for instance you are able to dedicate 4 hours a day to your outdoor bun, which to be honest is probably hugely over-optimistic anyway - but even that still leaves a social creature alone for 20 hours, which is unfair in my opinion.

If you really do have no option, I would put Jack outside. It sounds as if Molly would miss the company far more so it would be hugely unfair to put a rabbit that craves company outdoors alone for 20+ hours each day.

To be honest though it doesn't sound like either of them are ideal candidates for being outside alone, so I really would strongly recommend you ask someone to bond them for you - what you were experiencing all sounds perfectly normal and with a couple of days persistence in a small space on neutral territory, it sounds to me as if you'd have a very good chance of having a pair of loved up buns :)

I really do not know what to do i feel terrible.

For awhile i settled on Molly going on because nothing fazes her

i dont know :cry:

I really do not know what to do i feel terrible.

For awhile i settled on Molly going on because nothing fazes her

i dont know :cry:

Try bonding them again... let a rescue bond them for you...
You havent got anything to loose really? Then you could put them both outside?

I kind of take the view that where there's a will there's a way; I really don't think it's fair on the rabbits to give up on bonding and commit one of them to a life alone outside when it sounds as if the bonding was all going pretty normally :?

I kind of take the view that where there's a will there's a way; I really don't think it's fair on the rabbits to give up on bonding and commit one of them to a life alone outside when it sounds as if the bonding was all going pretty normally :?

Its not that i am giving up bonding i might try again in a few months i just feel awful because one of them still has to go outside.

I feel like the worse owner in the world

Oh no, that's a shame.

I don't know what to suggest other than trying to bond them again yourself ... but I've never done it so have no personal experience of how stressful it is.

If I were you, I would try again bonding. Where did you do it last time and how long did you keep them together?
Once you have given it enough time and they are still not totally 100%, only then , I think you could think about moving one outside.

To me, it sounds like normal bonding behaviour, but then I have never bonded :lol: but of what people tell me.

I think try bonding, if it really doesnt work out, then think about who can go outside.

If I were you, I would try again bonding. Where did you do it last time and how long did you keep them together?
Once you have given it enough time and they are still not totally 100%, only then , I think you could think about moving one outside.

To me, it sounds like normal bonding behaviour, but then I have never bonded :lol: but of what people tell me.

I think try bonding, if it really doesnt work out, then think about who can go outside.

I have tredi bonding 3 times and the longest it went on was about 9 hours and it was just a endless circle

I have tredi bonding 3 times and the longest it went on was about 9 hours and it was just a endless circle

Where did you try?

Or have I missed it in the thread already :oops:

And those three times, did you bond them in the same place everytime?

Sometimes it takes a long time - Smoky and Lizzie took about 6 months - we had to keep one in the spare room and one in the living room. We just kept trying it every so often and eventually it worked.
I take it you've not got the space or room to keep them both inside just now?

Back