• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Selective bunny amnesia?

Rachie

Mama Doe
Probably sounds a bit random. My house bun litter trained fairly easy, would go in his box to wee and apart from the odd wee on/in the general area of my other half, (boys :roll: ) he's been really good.

I had him neutered 3 weeks ago and if anything he's been better but the last couple of days he's taking to peeing on soft things. He's peed on pillows 3 times and this evening he peed on the bed (it was a big wee too :evil: ... and just so we know I've totally stripped the bed and but new linen on :p ) Its like he's developed selective amnesia over his litter tray!

I know it doesn't sound like alot but it is for him and I'm just a bit worried that he's taken it up as a habit?!

He's meeting his new wifeybun on Friday so when I bring them home I know I'm going to start from scratch anyway but just curious if anyone else has experienced anything like this and what has caused it? Any ideas?

This happened with Honey once her hormones kicked in. She used to pee on my bed. I stopped this by not letting her on it and putting her in her crate after meals. Even though she had been neutered it took a couple of months for her hormones to settle down and to get her back into a routine.

My bunnies have selective amnesia that they have eaten....
They always give you the 'I haven't had any food for AAAAAGES' look! :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry can't help much with the weeing prob, but could you restrict his area to no cushions etc for a while until hormones settle?

His 'area' is the kitchen, thinking I should start shutting him out of rooms again (on a night time/when I go out) so he just has the kitchen and hallway - I feel mean cutting down his exercise area though.

He'll be moving into the bunnymoon suite (my bathroom) on Friday evening with his wifey bun (hopefully) so I won't have a choice

if he was my bunny... hed be banished back to his cage for a few days so he can relearn where the litter tray lives..

thankfully no accidents with my pair so far *fingers crossed*

Its got worse! He's started weeing in his carrier (which is where I put hay for him) :roll: I've taken his carrier off him and left him with just his litter tray

Its like someone has taken my nice bun and replaced him with this naughty one!

I can't believe I'm going to have two to contend with shortly!

Its got worse! He's started weeing in his carrier (which is where I put hay for him) :roll: I've taken his carrier off him and left him with just his litter tray

Are you sure you brought the right one home from being neutered??:lol:
It does sound like you need to start retraining from scratch. It won't be mean just for a few days until he gets the idea again.

Charlie now and then "forgets" and pees on my bed...
I ban him from my bed until he gets the idea again :)

Are you sure you brought the right one home from being neutered??:lol:
It does sound like you need to start retraining from scratch. It won't be mean just for a few days until he gets the idea again.

Yes, its definately him :lol:

I just *don't* understand it, I had him 'done' 3 weeks or so ago so why has he completely lost the plot the last few days? :evil:

Guess I'm starting with him a day early with the toilet training as his wifey is going to need it too *sighs*

I totally sympathise with you Reggie has been neutered about 10 weeks or so now and the other day we were out all day come back and he'd also wee'd on our bed and i am talking, thru the duvet cover, the duvet, the sheet and onto the mattress naughty bun :no: I believe its his way of telling us not to leave him alone for so long:roll:
So we went out and bought him another litter tray for upstairs incase it was an accident (or he was too lazy to go downstairs!) Well he refused to use it point blank, he has started to poo in it now but will not wee in the new tray. So i don't have an answer just persist and close the bedroom door and hope that it stops, but i do know what your going thru, gotta love them though:wave::wave:

he'd also wee'd on our bed and i am talking, thru the duvet cover, the duvet, the sheet and onto the mattress naughty bun :no:

YES! Thats exactly what Olly did last night! wee'd through the duvet cover, the duvet, the sheet and the mattress topper (which I can thankfully get into the washing machine - taking forever to dry!) I had to go on an late night shopping mission to buy a new duvet!

The day before I'd had to go out and that was when he'd wee'd on the cushions on the sofa - it was his fault I'd had to go out in the first place!

Maybe it is Olly's hormones still early after his op Reggie doesn't like my sofa cos its leather so its only the bed really so for now when were out he's locked out the bedroom he hasn't done it again thank god! Can you not remove what you can for now ie the cushions to distract him and encourage him to use the litter tray, treats etc....apart from that i dunno what else you could try

My sentiments exactly about my Daisy-Sunshine yesterday and today!

She's always been good with her tray, but suddenly she's started weeing and pooing everywhere! Yesterday my three cats all had their beds soaked, as did the dog, my sofa was given two separate soakings and there were bunny poos all over the house :roll:

Today she's been confined to the living room, but has still pooed everywhere except for her tray, and also has had two wees on the floor.

I have no idea why!

I know I should confine her to her run, but I feel mean ... if she carries on this evening and tomorrow then I'll have to.

Sorry I have no advice...not too sure on house buns. But just wanted to say hi :wave: I am pretty sure you are going to be ebony's new mum?? I did your homecheck. Good to see you here. Good luck with getting Oliver trained, give the gorgeous boy a nose rub from me (when he has been good):D

Sorry I have no advice...not too sure on house buns. But just wanted to say hi :wave: I am pretty sure you are going to be ebony's new mum?? I did your homecheck. Good to see you here. Good luck with getting Oliver trained, give the gorgeous boy a nose rub from me (when he has been good):D

ooo hello :wave::wave::wave::wave: Your buns are gorgeous!

I am indeed Ebony's new mum! I'm starting to question my sanity on having two seeing as he's being such a handful. No nose rubs for him tonight - he just came and sat next to me to have a wee :roll: I'm still completely stumped to why he's become so untrained so randomly?

He's going on holidays to Auntie Joanne's house tomorrow, maybe he'll behave himself to impress his new girlfriend :p

Perhaps he prefers the soft toilet paper to the newspaper one !!
Or has been watching the soft puppy loo roll adverts on telly...
He's going for the comfort option :):):)

Perhaps he prefers the soft toilet paper to the newspaper one !!
Or has been watching the soft puppy loo roll adverts on telly...
He's going for the comfort option :):):)

I'll buy him charmin or triple velvet if it means he'll use his litter tray!

We've just had a sneaky kiss and cuddle so I feel a bit mean for being cross at him :oops:

Back