• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites,

milly100

Alpha Buck
Hi,
Ive just had my rabbit, Flopsey to the vets with what I thought was mites. Shed has alot of what i thought was dandruf and loss of fur on her back legs, she is always grooming herself underneath. After my vet inspected Flopsey he thinks it may be mites but he says to diagnose it properly he wants to mildly sedate her and clip some of her. Is this totally necessary???
I would prefer it if I could just treat her for mites firstly.

Hi,
Ive just had my rabbit, Flopsey to the vets with what I thought was mites. Shed has alot of what i thought was dandruf and loss of fur on her back legs, she is always grooming herself underneath. After my vet inspected Flopsey he thinks it may be mites but he says to diagnose it properly he wants to mildly sedate her and clip some of her. Is this totally necessary???
I would prefer it if I could just treat her for mites firstly.

A simply check with a magnifying glass or a tuft if fur on sticky tape sample will diagnose some parasites, including some mites, but for others skin scrapes may be necessary. To be honest though the loss of fur on the back legs and licking herself underneath may indicate other conditions such as bladder problems. Is she ever wee underneath? what's her wee like?

A simply check with a magnifying glass or a tuft if fur on sticky tape sample will diagnose some parasites, including some mites, but for others skin scrapes may be necessary. To be honest though the loss of fur on the back legs and licking herself underneath may indicate other conditions such as bladder problems. Is she ever wee underneath? what's her wee like?

I asked about a urine infection but the vet said that if it was a urine infection she would be wet underneath and would smell of wee but she doesn't. Im just not very happy about her being sedated.

There's no reason why you can't just buy an anti-parasite treatment such as xeno 450 if you want to- it's not prescription only (other users will probably be able to advise you on other brands as well). If it doesn't do the trick there's probably another underlying problem.
Is the skin normal when the fur loss is?
Here's some light reading on possible causes http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/furloss.html

There's no reason why you can't just buy an anti-parasite treatment such as xeno 450 if you want to- it's not prescription only (other users will probably be able to advise you on other brands as well). If it doesn't do the trick there's probably another underlying problem.
Is the skin normal when the fur loss is?
Here's some light reading on possible causes http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/furloss.html

Hi,
The skin is normal where the hair loss is. The vet even said her skin was fine. So i've decided to treat her for mites first then if it doesn't clear up then I'll get her back to the vets in a weeks time.

Back