• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

very young rabbits - how to help them

neeshkabeesh

Warren Scout
A friend of a friend's rabbit had its second accidental litter :( so my friend went round and came back with the last two babies. I went to see them today, I haven't seen a baby rabbit in years but these seem extremely small. They are six weeks old apparently and I wish they could go back to their mother but they can't. They are very small and have very fluffy fur as though they still have kitten fur, when do they lose this fluffier fur? What could my friend be doing to help them with regards to their diet? Apparently one is eating and drinking loads, the other was not eating/drinking but seems better after a couple of days. I would expect them to be more lively and curious but I'd just opened their hutch door and they looked cold. I have told my friend she needs to have them in the house. What else can she do about them?
I don't know what breed they are, their ears don't look like a dwarf's. Both have upright ears, one is white with blue eyes and the other is white and brown speckled, I should have really taken a photo.

Oh I dont know, Im sorry. Im sure someone with more knowledge will be along in a mo to help. I do know that babies should be with their mum until 8 weeks old tho.

The quiet one may just be unsettled from being removed from its mother and having new surroundings.

Perhaps tomorrow you could take them to the vet who can check them over.

Back