• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutches at P@H

Zara

Mama Doe
ok, well I know Pets @ Home havn't been the best pet shops in the world, but they seem to be improving rapidly, at least the one on my area is! They've finally updated their rabbit hutches to the RSPCA guidelines, probably thanks to the RWA who have teamed up with them on hutch design (they used to sell "rabbit" hutches that were tiny in the past!) and they've also properly labled the smaller hutches as guinae pig hutches so new rabbit owners shouldn't get as confused.

Whilst eying up some of the better-made hutches for my two buns a lady was enquiring about using the small guinae pig hutch for a rabbit, and the P@H assistant put her straight and explained to her why it was too small very clearly :D

Although I still wish P@H would stop selling those corn cob treats :evil: it looks like things are going in the right direction.

I just wish I could say the same for other pet shops in the area :( tiny hutches advertised everywhere for rabbits, i wish it was illegal to advertise tiny hutches for buns

Although I still wish P@H would stop selling those corn cob treats :evil: it looks like things are going in the right direction.

I have never fed my buns these as i heard they were a no no but don't really know why? Anyone clue me in?

Also, i think P@H have improved on hutch size yes but what they have improved in size they have neglected in quality. My friend has just bought the primrose den hutch and its flimsy, the bottom isn't very sturdy, wouldn't even say it would hold a larger rabbit (currently houses a lionhead) and i wouldn't trust that mesh to protect from a fox at all! Great size though.

Yeah I was actually gonna warn people about the primrose den hutch but forgot :oops: I looked at it and it's terrible, the wood is so **** the rabbit could eat it, weatherproof? Doubt it, those flimsy door handles could be opened by a cat, and a bun could easily trap it's paws in the wire meshing.

The Rosewood Manor and another hutch they have are MUCH better quality, but stay away form the plywood **** I'd say.

And about corncobs it's believed corn can get stuck in the rabbit's stomach and not digest properly causing problems. A lot of people are undecided about corn cobs but from stories I've heard it's not worth the risk.

I was very impressed with the size and quality of some of the hutches available. Things do seem to moving in the right direction at P&H. I find it a lot better than any other petshop in my area. I am hopeful that it will continue improving in the future :D.
Helen xx

I thought the same about the P@H quality. I have got a Thistle Hall one and was looking at the new bigger ones but where my one has sturdy mesh "sandwiched" in the middle of the door, the new ones seem to just have chicken wire stapled to the inside of the door. I love that the hutches are bigger but they look like they wouldn't even slow a fox down, let alone stop one

Back