• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny proofing

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Is it just me or does bunny proofing cause everyone a major headache?

Strawberry decided he like cables- so I brought shed loads of cable protectors and wrapped them all up.

He then decided he liked eating my textbooks- so I have to make sure everything is out of reach.

He likes to eat anything left on the table- so we had to buy a taller coffee table so he cant jump onto it

His favourite game is digging in the coal fire, jumping up the chimney, rolling in soot, then running across my cream rug- so we brought a fire guard.

He chews the fireplace- again the fire guard stopped this.

Today he has decided his new game is to eat carpet! So im searching on ebay for a stair gate as we only have carpet on the stairs and upstairs landing and they free range downstairs!

He is a complete nightmare. Everytime we think everything is safe he finds a new destructive game to play. Our house is a constant mess, the fireguard is hideous and untidy and I cant use my laptop in the lounge anymore as he chews the cable!

Just needed to vent my frustration!!!

Yes I totally agree. I've finally managed to bunny proof after lots of trial and error. Honey when she was young used to get on my dressing table climb onto the chimney breast and then climb up onto my shelves. I had to move everything around beFORE she fell off and broke some bones.

Mine only free range outside but that has come under some fire too. Trees - wrecked. Climbers - no longer climb. Grass - stripped. Fence - chewed. Bulbs - dug up. Naughty little creatures!

I know exactly what you mean!

My living room now consists of furniture behind bars! I have two of those metal bunny runs that separate into eight pieces, three pieces surround my computer, both of my bookcases are caged in, and I've had to remove all the decorative stone thingys from my electric fireplace as Daisy wanted to eat them :roll:

She's now banned from the bathroom, after chewing the carpet, and also banned from the spare room after destroying a load of the DIY paraphenalia we've had to store in there.

Daisy's latest trick is stripping wallpaper and plaster :shock:

Sorry - hijacked your thread with a rant of my own :lol:

Aww... we have the same trouble when we bring them indoors.... There is nothing there for them to eat chew or anything :lol:
my dad bunny proofed the garden.... coving all holes in fences... putting fences around my mums plants :lol:

I know exactly what you mean!

My living room now consists of furniture behind bars! I have two of those metal bunny runs that separate into eight pieces, three pieces surround my computer, both of my bookcases are caged in, and I've had to remove all the decorative stone thingys from my electric fireplace as Daisy wanted to eat them :roll:

She's now banned from the bathroom, after chewing the carpet, and also banned from the spare room after destroying a load of the DIY paraphenalia we've had to store in there.

Daisy's latest trick is stripping wallpaper and plaster :shock:

Sorry - hijacked your thread with a rant of my own :lol:

Feel free to rant all you like!

He does have a very cute face- but I am still very cross with him today! If it was my own house it wouldnt be so bad but were in a rented house! Looks like thats one deposit I wont be getting back!

Feel free to rant all you like!

He does have a very cute face- but I am still very cross with him today! If it was my own house it wouldnt be so bad but were in a rented house! Looks like thats one deposit I wont be getting back!

How about taking a cute photo of Strawberry and showing that to the landlord/letting agent in the hope they'll go 'awww' and let you off? Failing that you'll just have to raise his pocket money to cover the deposit ;)

Hopefully he'll start behaving himself soon - he's such a cutie, I'm sure he's very sorry!

is he missing your companya nd trying to get noticed...? or is he just like our beloved woozle was..we thoguht its cos he was a bun on hos own wth two elderly cats at the time. then we had willow...a hellbunny..a masic=ve frenchie doe who was just like your buns and she had a hubby but hes alazy old soul so she loved getting up to mishchief with the two young cats we have now.

i miss getting up to see the damage caused...we put upe veryhting she jumpe it climbed it..pushed it over...got the cats to keep it open etc etc..the babygate in the hall finally got the better of her a few months b4 she died.

you get norty kids like norty buns....:lol:

He used to be alot worse when he was a single bun and was doing it for attention. He has been worse again this week as im off work so they have been free ranging all day which gives him more time to plan his mischeif!!!

more cable trauma

been reading through the posts on bunny proofing the home - not just me having cable trauma then?;)

i boxed in the back of the tv stand and eric finally gave up on trying to work out how to get through it (still chewed thro a ps2 controller son had left dangling tho:oops:).

he's developed a trickier (for me) obsession tho now: the 2 cables tacked above the skirting board, one for the sky thingy and one for xbox live (please note i don't use either.....son and other half are the addicts). even tho eric is feeling quite poorly and lethargic, he still managed to have a darn good nibble on xbox cable last night (cheered me up no end seeing him up to mischief. other half was not amused).

i've read that some of you have used split hose pipe to thread cables through but the way these are positioned i can't get that around them so any ideas? would some sort of tape protect them? or shall i just have all electrical items removed to make it a safe house for eric:lol:

x

two people i know on another fourm have said that they have bought the spray from p@h that keeps them away from cables etc and apparently it has worked!! Im not sure personally but its worked for them, think i might try some!! :)

You can buy the trunking from Wickes etc you screw half to the wall, place cables in, clip the front on.. they are cheap and come in long lengths!

We are lucky as our house buns are rather good now... carpet wise etc. Saying that we have a newbie so I maybe eating my words by the end of the week!

They do say you can't be house proud if you have a house bunny... I for one can certainly agree with this one! (Hay entwined faux fur rugs, poops hiding under most peices of furniture, rabbit fluff on my pillow!!)

But they are worth it x x

I have every cable covered apart from my laptop cable (although that will soon change) and as a consequence I'm onto my 3rd laptop lead :roll: I think the cable protecting stuff is SO over priced though! a fiver for a pissy bit of plastic!

I tried 'chew stop' I think it was called from pets at home but I don't think it made any difference.

Oliver is rather fond of nibbling books that I leave around, on my lap, while I'm trying to read etc etc

may get some of that spray stuff to try as i can't use the trunking (great idea tho) cos am in a rented house and bun is a secret so wouldn't want to cause upset by nailing stuff to the walls!

someone told me to try double sided sticky tape. er, he's having enought trouble with sneezing every time somethings near his whiskers without having goo stuck to them too:? i also remember reding that there was a common household or food smell that rabbits don't like so was useful to rub on furniture to try prevent nibbling but i can't remember what it was.....

x

Back