• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long before poos return to normal- Update seen the vet

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Snowdrop was poorly late last week with stasis and wouldnt eat for a day. She was given metacam and metaclop and has been having these orally every day since she last saw the vet on saturday. She is now eating really well and charging about the place like a nutter but her poos are all different shapes.

She is doing plenty of them and its a big improvement on last week, but I am not sure whether they will return to normal size soon or whether its something I should be concerned about. Some are round and a normal size but others are large and more mini-egg shaped. We only got her just over a week ago and are not sure what is normal for her.

Last edited:
Anyone? We have an appointment at the vets in half an hour and really wanted to be able to go in with some idea of what the problem might be.

If your bunny had stasis, then it will take a bit of time for the poops to return to normal... but saying this, there are conditions which can cause stasis and abnormal poo so your vet needs to look into her reason for stasis. English marked buns (white with spots, eye liner & stripe down back) are more prone to suffer from megacolon.. which can cause both.. I lost my bun (who had these markings but was a cross) to this last week.. I don't want to alarm you at all but I wish I had found out it was megacolon after his first stasis bout. The vets never investigated the cause for stasis just treated the symptoms. His intestines were all so full of poo (starting with his colon back in January.. clearing and recurring in his colon being twice as bad! and b*ggering his insides up beyond repair) he had to be PTS.

Take some poo with you - this is then evidence for the vet to see how they are not normal. Hope she gets better soon x x x x

Last edited:
I am going to take some poo with me. I am really hoping things will sort themselves out soon as I really dont want her to have a GA and xrays done. We lost our other bunny 8 weeks ago during a GA for an Xray that was being done as he wasnt pooing properly.

sorry was half way through updating when my auntie came round with my two cousins.

The vet was pleased with her progress and said her tummy feels good. She has advised that we continue with the metaclop tablets for another 2 days and then see how she goes. She is willing to do a conscious xray if her poos remain the same after a few more days.

the fact they will do a conscious xray is good, You could try the science recovery sachets you mix with water to get extra fluids in - to help the poop get hydrated, so it moves along easier?

Lola did tiny poos for about two to three days after her recent illness. They are now back to their HUGENESS!!!

The majority of them are huge! They are all different sizes with most being mini egg shaped and larger than normal.

Back