• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP developed an allergy to one of my rabbits

HelB

Warren Scout
Does anyone have any advise? I've been totally fine with pets for years but all of a sudden I seem to have become allergic to one of my rabbits (the lionhead). I come out in a massive red rash, my eyes swell (i've developed a clear lump on one of them) and I sneeze and find it really hard to breathe. My doctor has given me an inhaler to use and I have been taking antihistamines. I need help from someone who has experienced this. What can I do?

Have you ruled out mites? When my buns had mites I was coming out in a rash every time I touched them. It could also be hay that you are allergic to.

She is currently being treated for mites, onto her 3rd injection but as her fur grows back on her mane i'm finding its worse

Have you changed hay or anything? I'm allergic to my lot & hay & can get really bad (so I can't stand up properly, I'm that exhausted from not being able to breathe!), but I usually take a couple of weeks antihistamines, wear a dust mask & gloves to limit inhaling when I'm in the buns rooms or brushing the etc, & double up on my inhalers until it goes away.

Not really, the only thing that I think it might be is the mites so hopefully when she is fully cleared I might be better. I've been brushing her loads and as you know, with mites the fur flys! I'm glad there are other people who have the same problem. I was getting worried that I might end up having to resort to a life without pets.

Actually that might be why I'm only allergic to one of my rabbits as the other has managed to stay mite free, kinda would make sense.

She wouldn't be white would she?

Over the years I've become allergic to albino rabbits or ones with a lot of white on them.

I think it's down tot the lack of pigmentation in the hair/fur :)

Is it definately the bunny?

I'm mildly allergic to Arnie when he's maulting but it's not really serious.

Could it be severe hay fever?

Sorry just trying to think outside the box :?

Is it definately the bunny?

I'm mildly allergic to Arnie when he's maulting but it's not really serious.

Could it be severe hay fever?

Sorry just trying to think outside the box :?

Doesn't hurt to think outside the box, it's how I discovered I was allergic to formaldehyde and it's derivatives of all things - the stuff they use to preserve corpses! Who would have known it's in so many products.

I think it is definately a rabbit allergy as thats the only time that I get the symptoms, but i'm preying its the mites and not anything else. But its always when the fur is everywhere so maybe it would get worse as well when she is maulting?

I have stripped the hutch and cleared everything out. I'm using pretty much everything the same as I always had and i've started to put the hay in a hay rack instead of keeping it loose to see if that works. I am also going to see if I can find a mask (even if i look like michael jackson its worth doing!)

I wonder if its litter? Might try another type of litter just in case!

I'd try changing everything about the environment first. Could it even be that you're allergic to her mite treatment, has it started since then?

I'd try changing everything about the environment first. Could it even be that you're allergic to her mite treatment, has it started since then?

I was just thinking that - I have no idea how injections actually work but I assume that whatever is in it, will be present in the whole rabbit (fur, pee, poo, on the soiled litter etc) for a while.

If you can rule out everything else (like hay) you should take some anti-allergy tablets until a few days after treatment has finished and see if it's calmed down. I'd ask your vet how long it stays in their system after the last injection has been given and try and work it out from there.

If it the rabbits fur or dander that you are allergic to there is a product called petalcleanse that you apply to the rabbit which may help :)

ooh whats that product and where do i find it?

This all started about 4 weeks ago properly, before I took her to the vets. She is onto her 3rd injection (sunday) so working it out i'm guessing she got the mites and i got allergic! I am going to speak to the vet about it on Sunday and see if he has heard of any other cases of people just being allergic to the mites and not the rabbit. It's all very strange but you have all been so helpful!

Ps. She isnt white, she's a bit fluffy grey lionhead! x

ooh whats that product and where do i find it?

This all started about 4 weeks ago properly, before I took her to the vets. She is onto her 3rd injection (sunday) so working it out i'm guessing she got the mites and i got allergic! I am going to speak to the vet about it on Sunday and see if he has heard of any other cases of people just being allergic to the mites and not the rabbit. It's all very strange but you have all been so helpful!

Ps. She isnt white, she's a bit fluffy grey lionhead! x

:wave:
http://www.petremedies.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=119

Thank you that sounds like a really good product and am definately going to try it BUT which do i buy, cats or dogs? There is no rabbit product! x

Back