• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can Anyone Help me Please? U/D Post 62

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Right, enough is enough.
Is there anyone who could help me put a letter together to send to the RCVS and the RWA and any other relevent organisations you can think of re the painfully obvious lack of Rabbit Knowledge of all too many Vets.

I cant sit here anymore reading thread after thread about Rabbits and their care givers being failed by the supposed professionals that are meant to provide Veterinary Care

I am sooooooooooo ********* angry right now so please excuse this outburst.
But what's the point in us sitting here moaning about the lack of Bunny Savvy Vets if we do nothing about it.

I am only a 49 year old dim wit with little academic ability and limited knowledge.
Yet I appear to know more about Rabbits than some Vets who are let loose on them.

Once I have calmed down I will try to articulate things better but for now I am off to punch an effing wall

:evil:

Last edited:
You are not a dimwit Jane! However, I agree that you know an awful lot more than some vets appear to know.
And go and cuddle a bunny, rather than punch a wall please;):D Much more stress relieving.

Maybe the first thing to do is collect peoples stories (naming the vet in question?) into a big pile and sending them off with stroppy letter attached. May be more effective than a petition as unless they have a good few thousand signatures they're not taken much notice of.

You have an incredibly impressive knowledge of rabbit care. The only dimwits are those like the vet who've been "treating" Hermione!!! :evil:...

Happy to help with the letter; I don't have any technical knowledge in the way you do but am pretty good with words.... (sorry - hope that doesn't sound conceited :()

Maybe the first thing to do is collect peoples stories (naming the vet in question?) into a big pile and sending them off with stroppy letter attached. May be more effective than a petition as unless they have a good few thousand signatures they're not taken much notice of.

No, I dont think naming and shaming is the way to go........yet !!

I would love to go in all guns blazing but that wont get the point across and I'll just be dismissed as some mad Rabbit woman with too much time on her hands.

I want to try to make a well constructed argument and to do so in a non-confrontational way.

I am way too angry to be able to do that today but hopefully I'll calm down soon!!

I am just no good at doing 'official' letters and I am sure someone else could help me with how to word things etc.

You have an incredibly impressive knowledge of rabbit care. The only dimwits are those like the vet who've been "treating" Hermione!!! :evil:...

Happy to help with the letter; I don't have any technical knowledge in the way you do but am pretty good with words.... (sorry - hope that doesn't sound conceited :()

I swear if I got my hands on them.....................:evil:

and 'no' you dont sound conceipted at all.

I will be more than happy to help. After 3 different vets saw my Toshi bun not one of them diagnosed his condition correctly, and wasted the last 3 weeks of his little life... prescribing medications that were not going to help.

I feel this could have been avoided if an adequate assessment had been made of his gut impaction in the first place. Instead it seemed it was mostly guess work. His gut was full of poo - and I was told by all 3 vets it was his only colon with a minor blockage. 3 Xrays and not one of them could tell how serious his problem was. His intestines were stretched beyond return. This didn't happen over night.

Anyway back onto the topic.. I was talking to my OH and we wondered if a "petition" of some form could be of use.. with a covering letter detailing our concerns. If rabbit owners signed/added their names to say they too are dissatisfied with the standard of vet care for buns.. and also put how many buns they have. This would help to emphasise how popular a pet buns are and therefore the urgent need for adequate veterinary care. I am sure between RU members we have a lot of rabbits. And of course any friends, family etc can also add their names.

Just an idea...

My 2 buns went for a VHD jab today and again did not get a full check up (re previous post and the 2 different vets etc. The vet said that the previous vet did it 2 wks ago so there wasn't a need for it).

I also asked about bonding (i want to bond the mum & dad with the brother and sister) and the vet had to go and ask someone else! The reply I then got was to put them together and keep an eye! Nothing about restricted space, netural grounds etc. Thank my lucky stars I found you lot, is all I can say x x

Righto, what do you think of this?
Later today I will try to put a letter together and I'll post it on here.
Then we can all make suggestions about how the letter can be improved or what needs to be added.
I will also need my :censored: spelling checked !! :oops:

Then once we all feel happy with the letter maybe someone could print off some copies for me. I have two printers but Windows Vista does not recognise either of them :roll:

I will pay for the postage of the letters.

Is this do-able do you think :?

That sounds like a plan to me! Im fairly good at letter writing so will have a check back later and see if I can help.

Well said Jane, your rabbit knowledge really does impress me. I'm lucky my vets are rabbit savvy, but before I found them I was at this awful vets who didn't have a clue. They gave my guinea pig frontline for his mites saying "there was no registered treatment for small animals with parascites!" What a load of :censored: and when I went to (my current vets now) I got the ivermectin at HALF THE COST!
I'm a good letter writter but fear I don't have enough knowledge on rabbit health to be of much use, but maybe along with the letter start like a petition?

Last edited:
Having been let down by multiple Vets so far and this sadly resulting in losses of my animals i too feel this is something which needs doing.

I am yet to find a decent Vet i feel happy with. I like my current Vet but not there emergency service, therefore i need to find another Vet :roll:

I would prefer to take my rabbit to Jane and let her treat and diagnose it for me :)

Jane you are more knowledgeable that most of the vets out there and have helped so many people me included.I'm sorry I'm no good with words but I think what you are doing is brilliant.Vets should be trained in all aspects of rabbit health during their course not at the end.We all pay the same amount whether it be dog,cat or rabbit and expect the vet to know their subject.I'm tired of reading on here of misdiagnosis and wrong treatment which costs the owner a fortune and their pet rabbit ends up dead.The thing is a lot of people dont have much rabbit knowledge and trust what the vet is saying.I got upset yesterday when i took blue to the vet.I said that Bristol were advising a six week course of abx for snuffles and she said,"A Little knowledge is a dangerous thing."She then proceeded to give Blue a seven day course and If hes no better bring him back,which will be another consultation charge.I felt such a fool when I came out of there then I got really angry.
I done care If the vet thought I was an idiot I will do anything I see fit to save my rabbits.At the end of the day I'm paying them to help my animals not for them to guess what is wrong and have a shot in the dark with this that and the other

Would Christobel be willing to put her view in? May sound more 'official' with the backup of a vet? Could maybe even be cheeky and ask if you could have the support of the whole vet practise, and use their franking machine if they have one - not only will you save money on postage (it's 36p for first class rather than the 39p stamps have gone up to) but you'll have a vet surgery name right on the envelope, so probably less likely to end up in the bin when received.

Having been let down by multiple Vets so far and this sadly resulting in losses of my animals i too feel this is something which needs doing.

I am yet to find a decent Vet i feel happy with. I like my current Vet but not there emergency service, therefore i need to find another Vet :roll:

I would prefer to take my rabbit to Jane and let her treat and diagnose it for me :)

But I'd just have to tell you to go to a Vet cos I'd be for the high-jump if I treated anyBun !!

Would Christobel be willing to put her view in? May sound more 'official' with the backup of a vet? Could maybe even be cheeky and ask if you could have the support of the whole vet practise, and use their franking machine if they have one - not only will you save money on postage (it's 36p for first class rather than the 39p stamps have gone up to) but you'll have a vet surgery name right on the envelope, so probably less likely to end up in the bin when received.

Yep, thats certainly a good point.
I am collecting Aisling from her later after Aisling's Dental so I'll see if she can help :)

Back