• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tooth advice please!

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
I got the shock of my life this morning, noticed Gussy was eating strangely so checked his teeth and his front incisors are really overgrown :shock: :shock::shock: Top ones are curling under nearly into his gums!

He is 3 years old and hasn't had any trouble before, he was fine 3 weeks ago when we were at the vet, this has happened in the last week :?

I have an appointment with the vets friday morning (but will take him in as an emergency if it stops him eating or he appears to be in pain) but what I wanted to know is, has anyone had success with having the incisors clipped or would it be best to have them removed? Also why now? What could have caused this to happen?

oh no poor gus! :(
i hope it doesnt stop him from being himself...
hope you find the answers your looking for and goodluck at the vets gus
Sending lots of vibes xxx

I just can't believe how quickly they have grown :shock: It was about a week ago I looked last, and he hasn't had any problems before :?:?

Zebedee is a dental bun but has only had 1 since he has been with me (and another next week :( )
His incisors don't sound as overgrown as Gus's do, Zebs grow straight down but start to curl outwards at the bottom so the vets shortened them last time and he has been fine although he found it a bit hard to eat at first. They have said that in the future they will be removed though.

I had a bunny as a teenager that had his incisors removed as he was eneding them clipped every other week. He was fine without them and just needed his carrot grating and help keeping him bum clean.

Maya developed Incisor malocclusion at the age of 7. She has been with me since she was 8 weeks of age, has always eaten tons of hay/grass and had never had Dental problems before.
Me and my Vet have come to the conclusion that the dynamics of the jaw change with age as does bone density. Although your Gus is still young :?
Molar Malocclusion can lead to Incisor maloclussion so that's a possibility.
If he sustained an injury to his front teeth that can set things off too.
Abnormal tooth root growth is another possibility.

Good luck at the Vets

xx

One of his front teeth was broken about 2 years ago but grew back fine :? (which is why I check them regularly) and his molars were fine about a month ago when they had their check ups.

My sister has a toothless bun so I know it isn't too much of a problem I am just a bit worried that there is an underlying problem causing such a quick change. They are badly overgrown, if he came it to rescue like that I would be thinking the owner was awful and not caring for the bun properly :oops: :cry::cry:

Thanks everyone, hopefully my vet will help. If the trimming is going to be a regular thing I think I would rather have them out...but hopefully one trimming will correct it.

Well Gus had his teeth clipped today and he is all back to normal :D :D Eating hay non stop and grooming Poppy and Sweetpea :D :D

We are going to see how they grow back but for now I will stick with getting them clipped rather than removed.

Back