• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

myxo jab

katie240181

Young Bun
hi :wave:

i took my bunnies for their myxo jabs yesterday and i was reading on the rabbit care reference section:

6. How will my Vet administer the Vaccination and will it hurt my Rabbit?

a) Rabbit Savy Vets will normally administer the Myxomatosis Vaccination first and you will normally notice that they will administer part within the ear and part within the scruff area of the neck.

b) Vaccination for VHD should take place approximately 14 days following the Myxamotosis Vaccination and your Vet will administer the injection into the scruff area of your rabbit neck.

my vet sees lots of rabbits but he just gave their injections in the scruff of the neck nothing in the ear, is this still ok? please

thank you

hi :wave:

i took my bunnies for their myxo jabs yesterday and i was reading on the rabbit care reference section:

my vet sees lots of rabbits but he just gave their injections in the scruff of the neck nothing in the ear, is this still ok? please

thank you

As long as 10% of the vaccine went intradermally then yes.
It is possible to inject intradermally in the scruff but it relies on the skill of the Vet giving the injection. The only reason the ear base is suggested is because that is where the skin is thickest and thus its easier to see and feel where the needle is going :)

Thanks Jane

it was just in one spot at the top of the neck, it was done slowly, he didn't do it fast, the needle look like it was in completely.

may i ask what does intradermally mean? sorry not heard that word before

thank you :)

ring up and ask if the 10% was administerd into the skin if it wasnt ask to have it done again (they should do it free and the 10% can be done again without teh need of the rest being done as without the 10% the vaccine is less effective) x

Mmmm I was just whondering about that - why do they inject the myxo in one of their ear's.

But strangly enough only one of my vet did this, and the others injected all the myxo in one go on my rabbit's neck.

Doesn't that bother you sometimes of how each different vet have different methods and it worries you that they all should be doing the same or the best and safest methods for our pets?

Just to let you know I do go to one vet practise but they provide me different vet people!

Mmmm I was just whondering about that - why do they inject the myxo in one of their ear's.

But strangly enough only one of my vet did this, and the others injected all the myxo in one go my rabbit's neck.

Doesn't that bother you sometimes of how each different vet have different methods and it worries you that they all should be doing the same or the best and safest methods for our pets?

no i find the more competant rabbit savvy vets will do it in the neck provided they are sure they are doing it correctly i have faith in them these tend to be the older vets who have had more practise at it or have stufyed rabbit medicine longer. my rabbit savvy vet says it is less painful this way for the rabbit and only one hole as such rather than 2.

on the other hand i have had other vets do part in ear... now i dont like this method as think its more painful however i apprichaite that the vet in question obviously doesnt feel comfindent to administer the vaccination in full in the scruff correctly and so does it this way to be sure that it is done correctly now i would prefer that the vet uses which ever method is preferable to them provided it is all going in correctly ie 10% into skin therefore i have no issues with the way its done provided it is done correctly. x

no i find the more competant rabbit savvy vets will do it in the neck provided they are sure they are doing it correctly i have faith in them these tend to be the older vets who have had more practise at it or have stufyed rabbit medicine longer. my rabbit savvy vet says it is less painful this way for the rabbit and only one hole as such rather than 2.

on the other hand i have had other vets do part in ear... now i dont like this method as think its more painful however i apprichaite that the vet in question obviously doesnt feel comfindent to administer the vaccination in full in the scruff correctly and so does it this way to be sure that it is done correctly now i would prefer that the vet uses which ever method is preferable to them provided it is all going in correctly ie 10% into skin therefore i have no issues with the way its done provided it is done correctly. x

Mmm yeah I agree with you. I hated watching one of my vet injecting the myxo in one of her ears - it did look painful but I think rabbits are so brave, as my rabbit didn't move or whine at alll......:shock:

Even worse I don't know how the vet could do it - I couldn't.....!!!!! But I am glad they can, as I can't imagine what life would be like for rabbits without any VHD or Myxo jabs.....:(

:wave:

Mmm yeah I agree with you. I hated watching one of my vet injecting the myxo in one of her ears - it did look painful but I think rabbits are so brave, as my rabbit didn't move or whine at alll......:shock:

Even worse I don't know how the vet could do it - I couldn't.....!!!!! But I am glad they can, as I can't imagine what life would be like for rabbits without any VHD or Myxo jabs.....:(

:wave:

having nursed(or helped to nurse as mum did most of the work bless her) my rabibt who was vaccinated chelsea through myxi aged 10years(she now into her 11yrs) i can say i would never not vaccinate a rabbit against myxi she really would not have been here if it wasnt for vaccine a good vet adn my rbillinat mums nursing. she was left with hardly any scarring and is fine these days still happy even if a bit stif fin old age. i cannot reccomend the myxi vaccs enough. x

Back