• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chasing at meal times & small poops

ariadne

Warren Scout
I don't know how to stop this. Scratch, who's a right old bossy pants, keeps chasing Poppy, all over the place the moment I apear with his food and before I've even put it down he's after her. He's so caught up with chasing her he doesn't even hear me call him.

The other thing is Scratch has been on metacam for the past couple of months for arthritis, his poops have for a long time been on the small side, sometimes like currants, sometimes a bit bigger but always on the smallish side. I sought some advice some time back and was told to decrease his pellets to 30-40g which I did and there was some improvement and his poops stayed a pretty consistent size. Anyway, before I took him to the vets (when he was diagnosed with arthritis) his poops became really small again, I mentioned this to the vet and she suggested I reduce his pellets and just to give him a tablespoon full. The problem is the size has never improved, and I feel that prior to taking him to the vets, they were reasonably ok, the brief blip I put down to him being in pain, which has now been resolved.

The thing is he's not starving, he gets two reasonable size bowl fulls of 7 or so different types of veg every day, unlimited hay, and his pellets, but when I decrease them he acts like he's starving, and like I said he chases Poppy like he's being really protective of his food. I'm at a loss now. :?

Bumping this up for you, cos I don't really have answer,

- except that my bunny Lizzie chases Smoky when it's food time - we've been trying to feed them separately to see if that helps - Lizzie eats inside their enclosure and Smoky comes into the kitchen.

It's a bit better and Smoky gets to eat in peace, also you can see if both bunnies are eating properly ;) - that might help with the small poop situation? Just an idea...

go back to the vet..it maybe painkillers arent working enough.

or it maybe spring fever madness which seems to be affecting bonded pairs in a similar way right now.

Thanks for the reply :)

I've tried to feed them separately but he seeks her out just to chase her so I end up with both running around and it all gets a bit frantic! Once he's eating they seem fine, occasionally dipping their heads in each others bowls :lol: but the situation is now making Poppy very nervous at meal times. Now if he even thinks I've got food when I walk near him, he starts to chase her and it's made her wary of approaching me just for snuggles in case it starts him off.

I don't think it's the pain killers because before the metacam he was depressed and not running around at all, he was very forlorn so its got me stumped :?

Back