• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to put weight on?

secretpennell

Young Bun
My 5 year old speyed doe Violet had an operation last August to remove 2 mammary lumps. She subsequently had a nasty wound infection, a further op to debride the wound, and about 2 months worth of antibiotics. I didn't think she was going to get through it, but one day she turned the corner!:D However, she lost heaps of weight, and despite all my efforts - 8 months later she's still skin and bone. The vet thinks it's possible she has a tumour growing, but doesn't want to investigate further after what happened before. However, she doesn't seem to be losing any more weight now - so I'm just feeding her extra rations, carrots etc. Her boyfriend who lives with her is now overweight , so I'm having to feed her seperately and there's only so much she'll eat in one go! Apart from her weight she seems very well and happy now. I'd appreciate any ideas please.

You may want to try a teaspoon of porridge made with water for a week. This usually does the trick.

I just give porridge oats dry ;) , it took my doe a full year to get over her spay an mammary tumour when she was 5 she is still here aged 9 ;)

Porridge oats, to my knowledge should not be given dry as they swell inside the bun.
Mixed with water is good :thumb:

Mine wouldn't eat the porridge plain. I soaked the oats in water with little bits of their favourite veg and Sooty likes hers thick but Cookie likes his sloppy. It is really good for getting them to put on weight so you could try it with some veg in :D

It might be worth asking for blood tests as weight loss can be caused by other conditions such as kidney disease.

Banana is meant to be good on a short term basis and also Alfalfa hay if bunny doesn't have problems with calcium deposits in their wee :D

Has she been tested for EC? Might be worth Panacuring for 28 days?

Back