• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Parting with foster buns...

mich8

Alpha Buck
I have only had them for a couple of weeks....
One is a little black and white Dutch who is so so lovely. He just wants constant cuddles and attention. The other is a German Lop. She does not like people very much at the moment, but has made a little progress over the last couple of weeks.
How do all the other members on the forum who foster cope with giving them up again......
I will not fail
I will not fail
I will not fail

I've only fostered cats and kittens and - I have failed. My other half won't let me do it any more because of the "emotional stress" that it puts me through :roll: (and I do tend to keep them :lol:)

It's never easy to say goodbye to foster buns ... we're onto 26 ... but knowing they're going to loving homes is what it's all about. We could easily accomodate another 2 permanent residents in our "foster" hutch .. but then we only help 2 rescue buns .. whereas by fostering we can (and have) helped LOTS more.

Having said that, we failed once and kept Sienna!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It has been sad to say goodbye but I know everyone of mine is going to a great home. It has been especially good when I have been able to meet the new owners when they view the buns, or homecheck them. This way I feel I have developed a sort of relationship with all the new owners. All of them have kept in contact to let me know how they are getting on or to ask for help and information.
It wasn't till I let my first go that I really knew I was going to cope with saying goodbye...give it time.
Monday I said goodbye to my 3 white babies, and I must admit for that night I looked outside and it felt very empty in the shed...then the next day Chloe brought me a mum and 3 babies and you just focus on making sure they get a good home.

It's really hard, we foster cats and quite often a mum and kittens for the local rescue and it's hard but so far we haven't failed :D Knowing that the animal is going to a fantastic forever home helps, and you know that you can help more animals in rescue find their forever homes as well.

Thank you everyone.
I will just have to be strong..... (moment of truth on Saturday when i am handing them both over !!!!!!!)
Even though i do have the room to keep them both, I would like to think I can help other rabbits in the future.
If I do fail I will be adding my name to the very long list of failed fosteres.......

I would like to think I can help other rabbits in the future.

This is how I am able to part with them. Because all homes are vetted before the bunnies go, I am comfortable that they are all going to good homes, and by letting them go, I am able to carry on helping other needy bunnies :)

We adopted our cats from ARC and they were their fosterer carers first ones, the girl sobbed continuously for about 20 minutes while we were there and she was still crying when we left :oops:

Back