• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What am I supposed to do???

Tinytoez

Warren Scout
I went to take Honey for her VHD tonight, she was a little star, and literally jumped into my arms from the table, however, I mentioned that her lump seemed to be less of a marble shape and more flattened, Dr Mark had a look and said it seemed like it had grown to him, so he wants me to bring her in on Friday to have it removed and sent off to be tested, at the same time he would check her teeth and shave her belly to check for a spay scar and either spay her or open her up to see if all her bits had gone, and this was going to cost £160 - £180 - my first thought was jeez I hope I dont loose my baby under the GA.

But here is my problem.
Ive had her almost 3 weeks now, but she isnt just my rabbit, she is my cousins too as she lives with them, I told her what the vet planned, and her first reaction was basically "how much?", then the battery on my phone died, so I went home and told my mum and brother who both told me it wasnt worth it as she was a rescue and I hadnt had her long anyway.

Dr Mark said she isnt in pain, and it could be a cyst, and possibly a tumour but he didnt think that was likely at her age, but as it had grown he wanted it checked.

My cousin told me she spent £300 on her Guinea Pig which subseqently died after 3 months, and if she wasnt in pain I would leave her, and thats what my mum said too.

I agree in a way as shes been through so much it doesnt seem fair to stress her out anymore.

Im just frustrated as this isnt 100% my decision - if it was then fine I would take responsibility and do it, but its not, as they would be the ones having her inside to recouperate.

I know this really shouldnt be a factor but it is, I have an MOT due on Saturday on my 12 year old car and I cannot afford to pay for this alone on top of that, and this is why I told my cousin how much it would cost, so that she might pay half.

What do I do now? I feel guilty about not doing this for her as we took her on to give her a better life, I feel frustrated that its not my decision to make.

And what makes it worse is that people have said shes only a rescue, and you have only had her 3 weeks, you could get an adoption for free at P@H.

I dont want some adoption - I want her!!!!
I wouldnt have rescued her if I didnt want her.
Yes I would love another baby, but I want her as well.

Am I a bad new bunny mum??

Im almost in tears here.

If it was my bunny I would spend every penny I had making sure she had the best quality of life possible.

I am not sure what you mean by this lump?I may have missed a previous thread where you talked about it. Im sure there is an easier way to find out if a bunny has been spayed than to open her up! Would a hormone test not work?

:? Do you know that 80% of female rabbits die from uterine cancer if they arent speyed? :( Your cousin doesnt sound very responsible at all, can you not pay in installments at the vets if money is a problem?

I dont think that is a bad price considering what the vet is going to do. Yes she is only a rabbit, but the thing is when you had her you shouldve thought about the costs :( Ive only had my hamster a week, and already shes cost me over £300 in vets bills. This doesnt matter to me, i will go without food as long as i know im helping her in every way i can.

Please give your bunny the best care possible :( xXx

If you read the post properly I am the one saying she needs this, I was asking for my cousin to share the bill as she lives with them.

I took this bunny out of a nasty environment to do the best I can for her, it is NOT me saying she is ONLY a bunny it is them.

Oh WTH did I bother posting asking for advice when all thats gona happen is Im going to be shot down in flames.

Thanks for nothing.

I have not shot you down at all and am sorry if you feel that I have. I was just enquiring as to what exactly the lump was.

:?

I thought it was just about money, as you mentioned your car and said you wanted them to pay half the bill. It didnt mention in your first post bunny doesnt live with you :(

They dont know what the lump is, she had it when I rescued her.
It might be a cyst and it might be a tumour but she isnt in pain.

Ok- could the vet do the tests on the cyst and leave the spaying till a later date when you have more money. While spaying is beneficial I know of rescues who dont even spay their females and so you cannot be blamed if you do not have the money for this operation at the minute.

Ive had her almost 3 weeks now, but she isnt just my rabbit, she is my cousins too as she lives with them,

They dont know what the lump is, she had it when I rescued her.
It might be a cyst and it might be a tumour but she isnt in pain.

If the vet is certain it isnt causing her pain, why not leave it a while to see if it grows/changes. You could maybe ask how much it will be just to have the lump removed, and wait for the other things to be done at a later date if you dont have the money just yet :)

This is the thing, she may have been spayed, but as she is so fluffy they cant tell, so as I said he was going to shave her to see if there was a scar.

I do know what commitment is, I have Parrot who is going to live 30 years and is going to cost way more than a rabbit, but when I took her on I wasnt expecting her to have a lump, and my cousin had said she would share the vets bills.

That will be for the removal and testing, everything else was going to be free.
He saw it when she had her Myxi 3 weeks ago and said to keep an eye on it then.

This is the thing, she may have been spayed, but as she is so fluffy they cant tell, so as I said he was going to shave her to see if there was a scar.

I do know what commitment is, I have Parrot who is going to live 30 years and is going to cost way more than a rabbit, but when I took her on I wasnt expecting her to have a lump, and my cousin had said she would share the vets bills.

If she said she was going to share the vet bills, it isnt fair on you or the bunny that she is going back on her word :(

It sounds like bunny should be living with you :?

No it was just going to be better for her t have one GA instead of having t have a spey later - if she hasnt had one already.

The bunny cant live with me as we have a German Shepherd Dog who isnt very friendly, firstly she was in my brothers garden but he didnt like her being there, and he had no garden, so they decided as long as I cared for her, bought her food etc she could stay in their garden as their daughter wanted a rabbit and this meant she would get her rabbit and mine would have somewhere to stay, but since she has been with them she is almost more theirs than mine, I go see her regularly but she has free run of their garden and all the grass she can eat.

Its not ideal but it was working, I even mentioned taking her when I eventually move out and they all said "oh no U arent".

There are various posts on here about her

It might be hard to tell if she has been spayed even if she is shaved. We had someone query if one of our rabbits had been spayed only today as the vet couldn't feel a scar.....she definately had :lol::lol: I would say see if you can get your cousin to fork out for the investigation of the lump first & sort out spay second. If they want to shave her to have a look whilst she is under GA to see if she has been spayed then thats fine but really only an ultrasound or at a last resort actually starting the spay will probably confirm if it's been done neatly by a good vet.

The fee charged sounds a little on the high side but not unusually so to do both ops....I would personally not try and do both. If the lump is cancer then the spay could be unecessary trauma for her.

My cousin wont fork out for anything, no one even seems interested, they have made their decision.

I was going to her her a friend, but after this I really dont know.

I guess they are also thinking that
1. if it is cancer all we have done is essentially paid £160 to find out and then eventually possibly have her PTS.
2. All the hassle she has had recently does she really want all this if the lump isnt hurting her.

Oh jeez I duno what to do for the best, coz I dont want to end up upsetting anyone, as the mite might not even have anywhere to live then - but if Im upset thats ok Im only me and I dont matter.

Back