• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny just died

twinkle4041

Young Bun
my bunny hasnt been eating since last week, only a bit of basil, lettuce, i tried baby food which was suggested earlier, i got a veg medley and the apple and pear and she had a bit, seemed fine, but just heard her banging about the cage i checked on her and she was taking her last breaths, god did i kill her with the baby food?:cry:

sorry to hear about your loss, did she see a vet?

what baby food was it hun?

Im sure you did nothing wrong x

shes been at the vet every day since last thursday, it was the hip seems its organic and was recommended. Shes not been well and apart from the science recovery has hardly eaten but was it me did i do it wrong? i feel terrible its my fault.

So sorry for your loss. You did your best so don't blame yourself, you even got help from others so there was no more you could have done. It was her time and I'm sure she lived a happy and fulfilled life. Just think back to all of the good times you had together.

but was it me, maybe i got the wrong food, it was a mixed veg one, maybe there was something in it rabbits dont like.. i feel terrible i may have killed it.

I am so sorry for your little bunny.. no it"s not your fault, you saw the vet everyday, you took care of her, you couldnot do more, but sometime even medical cannot save a rabbit, they can go very quickly in spite of all the good care... :cry:

You havent killed it!

Sounds like the bunny was very poorly and there wasnt much you could have done to help. Any baby food as long as it doesnt contain meat should be ok.

it didnt contain meat it was the hip vegetable meadly she only had a little bit, but shes been listless for days, i just didnt want her to have suffered because of me

Your bound to feel guilty hun, its part of the grieving process. But you really didnt do anything wrong and were giving her the best care you could!

She will be pain free now and playing with the other bunnies at the bridge!

i'm sorry, i just feel so terrible and to blame, i hate seeing any animal die and i really wanted her to pull through it

, you have done all the best, you could not do more, cheer up, I know how terrible it is when a bunny dies... take care

i will have a look at that, i am just wracked with guilt that i hurt the poor thing by helping. I know she was poorly and i know she hadnt eaten much, i was feeding her and giving her water, but maybe i should have done more, and why did she go down hill like that, thats why i think tis my fault. The vet said it wasnt great for bunnys when they are like this but i thought she would get better and i think i made it worse.

non you didnot make it worse, on the contrary you did what had to be done and prescribed by the vet, i k now how you feel, we all go thru this wandering if we have done enough.. but she was in a poor state and you attended to her to her last moments as she would not have recovered I dont think so please don't feel guilty, no reason..

i know i tried and i loved her very much as i love all my animals but i just cant help blaming myself , thanks for listening.x

Not sure if this helps, but last Boxing Day my bunny died for no apparent reason - no change in diet or anything. She could only have been two, if that. The worse thing was that she was in the care of my friend (though albeit at my home) and the friend was devastated. I still don't know to this day why she died, but what I am trying to say is that sometimes it just happens, no fault of ours. I'm sure your bunny enjoyed its time with you.

thanks i know, i suppose as every day went on i knew it would get worse if she wasnt eating nothing i gave her interested her, i had to feed her, i suppose i just blame myself incase the baby food i gave her in the hope it would help her may have made her worse.

Back