• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need help with my situation

i had brought two rabbits that needed a new home and they are only 4 months old, well they are both female as ive been told and are sisters so are from the same litter, the privious oner said they had them checked twice to see if they were both girls and this is because they like to mate with eachother. but i am sort of expiriencing a problem now... as one of them does it i think it has gained more confidence than the other one and is bitingits back and now the one rabbit has lots of scabs down its back along its spine and i bet it reallly hurts so i was wondering if i could help stop it.

these are what i need answering

are they meant to mate or would one be a boy or possibly both?
is the biting on the back normal?
and how can i stop it?

please reply asap :)

Ryan

I think they are starting to get hormonal. I would take them along to the vets firstly because rabbit bits can get abcesses which are nasty but you will also have to talk to the vet about neutering. Many vets will do this from 4 months. It will help to calm down the dominance nipping but will also protect them from uterine cancer later in life.

First of all, separate them. Second, take both bunnies to the vets to be sexed. The vet will also treat the bunny that has been bitten; if she is not treated she may die, as bunnies in pain stop eating and go into stasis. Do not put the rabbits back together until they are both neutered/spayed.

I posted pretty much the same post when I first got my buns - two months later they were spayed and are now angels both with me and other rabbits. Hopefully they are just hormonal teenagers

Back