• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please, Urgent. U/d Pg 3 :D

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
Just put the bunnies together to try & bond, Dylans ear is now torn quite badly but there isnt too much blood. Do i get her straight down the vets now? I feel sick - WHY!! :(

Last edited:
Has the bleeding stopped Becki ?
How big is the cut ?

Try to clean it well with a dilute Hibiscrub solution or if you dont have that make up a saline solution with 1 tsp salt with 1 pint cooled boiled water.

Aw, what a horrid experience for you all.

If you could take a picture and post it that might help people know exactly what has happened.

Is it torn right through? If so it may need to be stitched and it is best done tonight while the wound is still fresh.

If it isn't torn right through then do as Jane suggested :)

If the tear is more than about 5mm and all the way through you will need to get him to the vet ASAP - if the wound has time to seal they will have to cut a portion out as it won't knit together when stitched otherwise.

When Daisy's ear was torn it started to seal within 1/2 hour.

Sorry don't mean to panic you but a severe tear must be stitched immediatly.

Had a further look & its pretty horrendous, Gonna get her down to the vets now :( Wouldnt mind but it was her own fault, Rhia didnt show an ounce of aggression! Feel a bit sick, Shes just laid on my bed :(

PS to give you an idea, this was Daisy's ear ...

ear.jpg

Vet was shocked at the extent of damage, She doesnt just have one tear its pretty much shredded, there are holes un stuff. They have kept her in :cry: He was going to do a bit of work on her when I left then dose her up and let her be til tomo, he thinks most of it is unrepairable anyway. My poor baby, She didnt want to let me go in the vets - It was horrible :cry: Have to call at 10.30 to see how shes gone on throughout the night xx

Poor bunny, sending lots of vibes and I hope she's had a comfortable night. xxx

Sending loads of vibes Dylan's way.I'm afraid some bunny fights are pretty horrendous.Maizey had a 3inch split down his ear which the vet couldn't repair,this was done when trying to re bond him and Willow.Willow got his own back by biting maizeys nose off.I had to give up trying to bond them in the end as the injuries just got worse and so did the hatred towards each other.They were the best of friends once upon a time

Poor Dylan sending vibes for him.

I have had it happen a couple of times, it happens so quickly :( Thankfully they have been able to stitch it both times. They were both lop buns, never known it to happen to upright eared buns:?

Dylan still isnt home :( Missing her loads, Its so strange without her here. All three or four of the lacerations are unable to be repaired as there is just too much damage. She isnt eating tonight either. Hoping my little one will be home tomorrow...X

Back