• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How much water?

Hmmm mine have a rabbit sized bottle each and normally about half of it per day..cept for Scooch she's sharing with her babies lol so she goes through most of it by the evening then I fill it up again.

They all take different amounts but it would depend on what size of rabbit , wether they live inside or out and if they get a lot of veg ;) . I did worry about my nethie who was drinking about a 300ml bottle a day and i only found out he was still drinking that much in winter after i moved him outside last year in the summer

Average water consumption is 50-100ml/kg/24hours
Rabbits who are feed alot of Veg tend to drink less than Rabbits fed no veg or very little veg.

I was thinking the same thing, it never looks like Tink has touched her water, but I feed her a lot of veg so it sounds like that might be why :roll:

My rabbit used to drink about half of her water bottle each day but recently has been drinking the full bottle and more each day.

Both vets that I have been visiting recently regarding Jess's health issues have said that they can't do anything for her but I'm convinced she has UTI. *see my 'rabbit pee & poo everywhere' post for details of illness*

Im sure there is something that I can do to make her better!

My rabbit used to drink about half of her water bottle each day but recently has been drinking the full bottle and more each day.

Both vets that I have been visiting recently regarding Jess's health issues have said that they can't do anything for her but I'm convinced she has UTI. *see my 'rabbit pee & poo everywhere' post for details of illness*

Im sure there is something that I can do to make her better!
cant find your post ?

if her drinking is higher than normal and she has lost bladder control then you need to take her to the vet (another more bunny savy one if they have turned you away). It may be a UTI but it may also be renal problems, possibly caused by EC or some other underlying cause. It is important to get her treatment quickly as if it is a UTI she is probably in some pain and if it is kidney problems then then they need to be sorted to reduce ASAP! Even if they cannot feel any swelling that might indicate UTI they should be treating her with baytril just in case but I'd also recomend panacur in case it is EC related. If the problems persist (especially if she is loosing weight) then I would be asking for blood tests for renal failure & an xray for kidney stones.

edit - just saw your other posts. It is possible than incontinence is caused by the head trauma but that probably wouldn't explain the excessive drinking. I see you are getting baytril but definately as jane recomended in the other thread ask for her to be treated for EC and consider getting blood works/xray done. If you post a thread in rabbit chat giving your area, someone will be able to recomend a rabbit savey vet if you are not confident in yours.

Last edited:
Back