• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed for Ellie, please

HenryTupp

New Kit
Hello everyone,
I've just joined the Forum - am hoping for some advice - there seem to be a lot of experts on bunny health out here! My daughter has a dwarf lop - Ellie - she is two years and 10 months, a house bunny - she lives with me, my husband and two cats - as daughter lives on her own now - and works shifts, so we thought it best to take her in!! She is still my daughter's beloved bun, tho.
Anyway, on Saturday night last we noticed she was a little off food - she has been a bit like this before especially whilst moulting - but after a rapid series of small poos while she was on the move, she'd stopped eating and pooing altogether - so on Easter Sunday she went to the vet. They have kept her in and are force feeding - but no poos. We are pretty upset - is this stasis? Not sure what this is - we admit our total ignorance - just knew that not eating was bad. The vets keep asking us what we want to do? We'd like them to tell us what is best!
Apparently she is still quite bright - she is an obstinate little so and so at the best of times (bless her!) and we are thinking that being there will be adding to her stress and making her not want to eat if you see what I mean? Apologies for newbieness - we are all so worried.
Any clues please? Any advice very much appreciated - you all seem so knowledgable.

Cheers

If you vet asked you what you wanted him to do then he doesnt sound like a very bunny savy vet!

It sounds very much like stasis. The vet should determine whether or not their is a blockage and if there isnt give some Metaclopramide to get the gut going and some Metacam as a painkiller. Jacksjane is the expert usually so im sure she will be along soon to advise.

Is your bunny in the vets at the minute? If so it might be worth making sure she has had some pain relief as it really is vital and some vets dont give it.

It does sound like stasis and/or teeth problems . I worry about a vet who has to ask you what to do :? . I hope she gets better we are all having problems like this with our buns myself included x

Thank you for that - both of you- what exactly is stasis?

Vet (it's a lady vet - she'd always seemed pretty clued up - but what would we know!) did say (on first seeing her) that the back teeth were slightly long - she's not been eating as much hay as she should. A mighty fussy bun is our Ellie - she only likes the chunky juicy bits of hay - won't touch the thin bits! She does like her treats - herbs and such - and she does chomp paper if she can nick a sheet from the coffee table - won't let her have anything with ink on however. I keep thinking that I've not been careful enough with her diet - too many treat stuff and not enough hay.

We've to speak again with vet tomorrow. It was a bit strange before she started all this - she seemed to be putting her head on one side slightly - we've noticed her doing this before when she has been a bit "off" - and she over balanced a little while she was grooming. They've got her on pain killers - in case she was in pain from something.

It's a worry! Poor bunny..she will be hating it there.
So stasis - is it a sort of paralysed bowel?

I think stasis means a slow down and eventually stop of the gut. There is a good article on it but I cant remember the link. Try searching for stasis on the forum and it should bring lots up.

Fluids are important at helping the gut move so I assume the vets are giving some there.

ETA: Did she mention EC when you spoke to the vet? Loss of balance and shaking the head/head tilt are signs of this and she should be on a 28 day course of pancur just to be sure.

The vet did mention some sort of parasite in the brain that they can develop - would that be EC? if so - I think that they are treating her for this as well - they have told daughter that they are treating her for all this just to be on the safe side. This head thing has happened before but it didn't seem very major thing at the time - it wasn't that noticeable - you had to watch very closely. Plus she seemed to recover ok at the time. We thought it may have been an irritation in her ear. She always seems to be a bit quiet and "off" when she is moulting too.

Complicated, all this!! Thanks so much for your efforts!!

poor bunny!:( I think that when she gets better you need to find a rabbit savvy vet,I dont like the fact she is asking you what to do [ie PTS]. especially at this stage.If bunny's teeth are long,is she going to burr them? The bunny should be on fluids,metacam,metoclopramide,fenbendazole [panacur] and maybe another antibiotic incase its an ear infection. Sending lots of get well vibes for your little one

Ellie is home!

Hello all

Just to let you know we have our bun back - we rang this morning at half past nine to be told she was still the same - no eat no poo. When daughter rang later at 2 pm - (they'd not rung her back like they promised) this vet nurse said, very brightly - come and get her. Apparently she'd started all functions just after Lorraine had phoned before.
On arriving to get her, Lorraine overheard one nurse saying to another about how glad they'd be to be rid of a certain animal that had been causing issues - that was our Ellie! Apparently she'd given one of the nurses a pretty long scratch on the arm (with back feet) - oh dear. They had been complaining about her the day before - the word was "cantankerous". I get the feeling they'd kind of run out of sympathy - but when you are scared out of your wits and being force fed by strangers, what d'you expect?
Anyway - she is now what I would describe as shell shocked, poor thing. Quiet and bunched up, if you know what I mean. Talking to her and head rubbing seems to visibly relax her, so am indulging!
The list of drugs that she's had is pretty extensive - have looked them up - two types of painkillers, metoclopramide, metacam, baytril,pancur paste (which we've to continue with), and soluble Bio-Lapis sachets. I've checked out stasis and EC elsewhere on the forum - it is a bit mind-boggling.
Any tips to speed her recuperation would be welcome - just want to see her back to herself - conversing with Desmond (one of our elderly Oriental Tabbies - he's fond of Ellie - gives her a head groom now and then!) and generally letting rip about the place, shaking her ears and bouncing around. At the mo we have a quiet subdued small person - not a larger than life character as we are used to.
But at least we have her back!! Thanks for the good vibes and well wishes - they worked!
I'll post a pic when I can work out how to attach it. Just a bunny - lots of other pics of lovely bunnies - but aren't they all special individually? Especially to those who love them - and their other animals.
:)
Cheers to all !

PS - vet has not mentioned burring teeth - we are going back on Monday for a check up - will mention it then.

Last edited:
Glad to hear Ellie is back home and functioning well!:) I think a bit of "spoiling" is in order.I must say I'm not impressed with your vets-a vet who hints at PTS at the first sign of a problem and VN's who have no real empathy with their patients:? Perhaps you could post and ask for rabbit savvy vets in your area? I'm sure there will be someone on here who can advise.

Back