• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Conflicting advice (runny poo's)

kerry-123

Mama Doe
ARRRGGGHH NOT AGAIN!!!! Scooch was doing so well :( Her poo's were a good colour and bigger and now some are runny again :(:(:( I've had to wean her onto SS pellets because the food she was on somehow turned on her and she wasn't really eating it and it was causing tummy probs. Anyways but since she has just had kits (well three weeks old now) people keep telling me to give her unlimited pellets, but she wasn't that weaned onto them. She was doing fine (poo wise) with a handful morning and night she also isn't weaned onto veg (shes just on apple atm) I've been trying to do it as gradually as I can but then I feel guilty because she's meant to have an umlimited supply of pellets cus she had a litter, but now it's just got me back to square one :(:(:(:(:( Someone please help I need to know what do to for sure because I'm so sick of this happening :(:(:(:( I feel awful. So fed up, I'm trying my best :cry:

Last edited:
Found this info , i hope it helps x

Soft stools

The soft stools are simply normal but uneaten caecotrophs. If your rabbit isn�t eating the caecotrophs it may be for a number of reasons. It may be painful e.g. arthritis or dental disease or simply that the daily routine in being interrupted. More likely however, is that you are feeding too much concentrate food (pellets/ rabbit mix). This provides too many calories so there are fewer stimuli to eat the caecotrophs. Also the extra calories can result in obesity which may make it physically impossible to reach the anus to eat the caecotrophs. It may seem unpleasant to us but eating the caecotrophs is an important source of vitamins and other nutrients.

"My rabbit produces both hard droppings and soft droppings but the soft droppings are sloppier and smellier than usual." This may happen if we feed too many sugary foods (some parts of the rabbit mixes or feeding too many sugary fruits such as banana and apple) and too little fibre. This causes the overgrowth of yeast which crowds out the friendly bacteria and a change in acidity of the gut which reduces intestinal movement. These changes produce the smellier, sloppier caecotrophs and also create an opportunity for harmful bacteria to grow.

Found this info , i hope it helps x

Soft stools

The soft stools are simply normal but uneaten caecotrophs. If your rabbit isn�t eating the caecotrophs it may be for a number of reasons. It may be painful e.g. arthritis or dental disease or simply that the daily routine in being interrupted. More likely however, is that you are feeding too much concentrate food (pellets/ rabbit mix). This provides too many calories so there are fewer stimuli to eat the caecotrophs. Also the extra calories can result in obesity which may make it physically impossible to reach the anus to eat the caecotrophs. It may seem unpleasant to us but eating the caecotrophs is an important source of vitamins and other nutrients.

"My rabbit produces both hard droppings and soft droppings but the soft droppings are sloppier and smellier than usual." This may happen if we feed too many sugary foods (some parts of the rabbit mixes or feeding too many sugary fruits such as banana and apple) and too little fibre. This causes the overgrowth of yeast which crowds out the friendly bacteria and a change in acidity of the gut which reduces intestinal movement. These changes produce the smellier, sloppier caecotrophs and also create an opportunity for harmful bacteria to grow.

Thank you so much for going through that trouble she was eating apple today:oops: she had an extra slice, probably what did it. Thank you very much :wave: Hopefully she will be better if I keep it off for today (well she only gets it in the morning anyways) and mayb give her a bit less tomorrow. Again thank you:wave:

Your welcome x . I have helped myself to because i just found out banana causes overgrowth of yeast and one of my rabbits will only eat banana after a dental ;)

Your welcome x . I have helped myself to because i just found out banana causes overgrowth of yeast and one of my rabbits will only eat banana after a dental ;)

Lol great :) I love this forum ;) Don't know where I would be without you guys :D My buns (And piggies) Thank you all :D

Back