• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Half the space for twice as long, or twice the space for half as long?

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
...that is the question...

I have two beautiful foster bunnies, and 2 6*4 runs with the ends detached so they can be put together into one 12*4 run or used as two separate runs. I've largely been putting the pair of them out next to each other in a 6*4 run each, they are saying 'hello' nicely through the wire and they are clearly enjoying the exercise.

Now then, they do also go on mad loony runs, but they don't get very far in a 6*4 space as you can imagine.

So, I'm wondering whether I'd be better off giving them the whole run for some exercise, but it would have to be for half as long, so that they both get a turn.

What do you think?

PS If you're interested in adopting either of these lovely boys, you can find all their info here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=172595&highlight=benji

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=169654&highlight=benji

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=169656&highlight=benji

Well this evening for example, would be a pretty typical post-work exercise time, they've been out for about an hour now...they could both stay out until about 8 when it starts to get dark, or I could put one back in his hutch now and double the run, then swap them over in an hours time.

So this evening they have both had an hour already so they could now have another 2 hours grazing each, or they could have 1 hour each for a crazy run around.

Would it be possible for one pair to go in the large run and the other pair have free range in the garden?

If not, I myself would leave it as half the space for twice as long :D

Would it be possible for one pair to go in the large run and the other pair have free range in the garden?

Alas no, I need to keep them contained so they don't go in any area that is used by my own rabbits...the garden isn't secure and I'd never be able to catch them again in any case :lol:

Spidey - hurry up and build your new enclosure, get agreement from your parents and we can put a nice big reserved sign on him! ;)

you could default and buy another couple of runs
Yes the thought had occurred to me :lol: Can't find any that I can sneak in under the radar without hubby noticing at the moment though! :lol:

Personally I would give them an hour each in the big run each as they are young buns and need to let off steam. I would then divide it up for the rest of the time so they can both chill and nibble :)

Either way it's so much better than what they are used to :)

Ideally someone will offer them a lovely home soon so they can binky till their hearts content:)

What about finding a temp way to split it into two 12*2 runs (like with some carefully cable tied chicken wire or something)? Then they could both go out and have a long space to run it, just not as wide.

If that's not an option, what I would probably do with mine is keep them in the 6*4s but my buns are tiny, so that might also play a part.

Or maybe just go for a mix and match situation.

Personally I would give them an hour each in the big run each as they are young buns and need to let off steam. I would then divide it up for the rest of the time so they can both chill and nibble :)

That's what I've done for now - proved to be the right decision, Benji is on a mad run and binky-fest :)

I think I will mix-n-match for a while, maybe a combination of seeing how long they would have each, what the weather is like, what sort of mood they are in etc etc :)

Knowing what my own buns are like, I would say twice the space for half as long. :) When mine are in the 6x4 run on grass, they just pootle around munching but they need a bigger space to really leap around and get rid of some energy. Bubbles is the binky queen and she's always far more exhausted from an hour freerange (in a tiny garden :lol:) than from 4 hours in the run.

I bought some more runs

I'm working at home today so Benji is out at the moment and he is running and binkying and really enjoying himself :) It'll be Wesley's turn at 13:45hrs :lol:

I'd do big-run less-time too.

Whn I let the group out free in the garden, it's a manic chaotic twirl of running binkying buns for about half hour. After an hour, most of the buns are tucking into some serious grass-eating or have wondered back inside to fall asleep:lol:

Back