PDA

View Full Version : Eating soil

Hugo's There
14-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere that if a bunny is eating soil then there is some sort of problem , but I can't remember what :? Does anyone know?

Anthony has been sat in a flower pot all day munching soil:?

He is doing really well though as he has eaten most of his tea and even ate whole carrot rather than grated carrot :) It's strange how he has started eating again now his mouth is so sore

giantbunnymummy
14-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Anthony, when we all sent eating vibes we weren't thinking of soil!

Hope he's ok.

Santa
14-04-2009, 07:33 PM
I think it's got something to do with the mineral content of the soil, they instinctively know to munch on it when they have a mineral deficiency - so maybe not eating for a few days has sparked off his system to seek out sodium or something from the soil :? Maybe give him a little piece of tomato and banana to see if that helps to rebalance his little body.

Glad he's at least eating now anyway :)

Hugo's There
14-04-2009, 07:38 PM
I think it's got something to do with the mineral content of the soil, they instinctively know to munch on it when they have a mineral deficiency - so maybe not eating for a few days has sparked off his system to seek out sodium or something from the soil :? Maybe give him a little piece of tomato and banana to see if that helps to rebalance his little body.

Glad he's at least eating now anyway :)

I guessed it might be something like that, thanks :)

susiemae
14-04-2009, 10:31 PM
I agree, I thought it might be something like a mineral deficiency. My buns like to eat chalk. My daughter draws on the patio with it and if she leaves it out there, they eat it. Again I think its a "mineral" thing

OriginalFlintstone
15-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Yes it's a mineral deficiency. Horses do the same thing.