• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating soil

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I'm sure I read somewhere that if a bunny is eating soil then there is some sort of problem , but I can't remember what :? Does anyone know?

Anthony has been sat in a flower pot all day munching soil:?

He is doing really well though as he has eaten most of his tea and even ate whole carrot rather than grated carrot :) It's strange how he has started eating again now his mouth is so sore

I think it's got something to do with the mineral content of the soil, they instinctively know to munch on it when they have a mineral deficiency - so maybe not eating for a few days has sparked off his system to seek out sodium or something from the soil :? Maybe give him a little piece of tomato and banana to see if that helps to rebalance his little body.

Glad he's at least eating now anyway :)

I think it's got something to do with the mineral content of the soil, they instinctively know to munch on it when they have a mineral deficiency - so maybe not eating for a few days has sparked off his system to seek out sodium or something from the soil :? Maybe give him a little piece of tomato and banana to see if that helps to rebalance his little body.

Glad he's at least eating now anyway :)

I guessed it might be something like that, thanks :)

I agree, I thought it might be something like a mineral deficiency. My buns like to eat chalk. My daughter draws on the patio with it and if she leaves it out there, they eat it. Again I think its a "mineral" thing

Back