• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxo vaccination question

Maizey

Wise Old Thumper
Every time my bunny Blue has the myxo vaccination he gets really bad snuffles which usually clears up after a short course of antibiotics.This time It hasnt so he is on another course of baytril and if that doesnt work we will change abx.My question is the myo vaccine is live,is it possible to get a dead vaccine?

Every time my bunny Blue has the myxo vaccination he gets really bad snuffles which usually clears up after a short course of antibiotics.This time It hasnt so he is on another course of baytril and if that doesnt work we will change abx.My question is the myo vaccine is live,is it possible to get a dead vaccine?

The myxo vac is not actually derived from the Myxoma Virus but from the Shope Fibroma Virus. At the moment this is the only vaccine available and AFAIK there is no 'work in progress' to licence another one. Apparently inactivated vaccines from the Myxoma Virus itself are ineffective.

xx

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply Jane.Thats very interesting.Where is the Shorpe Fibroma Virus found to make the vaccine,do rabbits carry this virus?

Last edited:
My vet always told my the myxi vaccine wasn't live :? but I admit I haven't read round the point to check, just took her word for it

It's definitely live: http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_Schering-Plough/Nobivac_Myxo/-29529.html

But maybe your vet meant it's not live myxo, which is true because shope fibroma is related but doesn't cause myxo! I have a feeling shope-fibroma is a related illness in rabbits in North America, I don't know of it causing any problems here. If my memory serves me correctly, it's usually non-fatal but causes really bizarre shaped lesions to erupt especially around the head.

Edit: :wave: Jane :lol:

You're right. I remember the conversation now.

Remember the "rescue" I got Meredith from :roll:

They were giving the advice to the public that they wouldn't myxi vaccinate buns if they had another unvaccinated rabbit as the unvaccinated bun could catch myxi from the freshly vaccinated one as it was a live vaccine :shock: So they were advising not to vaccinate.:censored:

I was chatting to Jen about how crazy this was and thats when she said it wasn't the live myxi. So thats were I got confused sorry.

Back