• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some times I wonder why about people lol

Sam_Spice

Mama Doe
I was naughty and went onto a thread of some lady asking if she should spey and neuter her rabbits, she has a doe and buck and wants to bond them in the future but not breed.I read through 14 replied of people saying don't get them done :roll: most of their reasoning being they've had rabbits for years and never got them done and don't see the need to.

I replied saying you should get them done, especially if you want to bond them and not breed, and i also included about the females getting cancer etc. The girl was worried her vets couldn't do the operation so I suggested searching for an exotic pet vets nearby too. I then just checked back and got a wonderful reply :D

"lol sam i refuse point blank to accept all that 43 yrs of rabbit owning its all hype and money making for vets rescue work etc and breeding which i agian do now and as for exotic pets piffle sorry but they are not exotic pets no wonder people are confused
not spaying does not cause cancer at all cancer is cancer end of thats the cause in everyone things may make it more aggressive thats like saying give all usfemales the op to stop ovarian cancer !!!!!!!!!! doesnt work like that
my one male has been done purely because he is to nasty with other rabbits and to old to breed from now bless him none of my females will be spayed and being told to do them wont happen either
and as both myself and haley have vetering experience her being a vet nurse lol i think we know whats a money thing and what isnt somehow so sorry but none of mine are being put thru a major op no chance
"

hehe I love people :lol: :shock:

edit:
I don't challenge people very often (im very good at fence sitting, lol) but are their papers or scientic evidence that proves some of the facts about speying reducing cancer chances etc, surely there must be for it to be a fact in the first place but are there any to read online? That way there is some physical evidence to back my opinions?

Last edited:
Omg why did she give you that reply when shes the one asking the question about whether or not she should have her rabbits done!! Some people are so stupid, this is like when I told my uncle I was having my rabbit neutered and he was like well when I had rabbits we never had them done you dont need it done whats the point!!!!! :censored: makes me so angry!!!!

Oh dear, what a know it all, who obviously hasn't got a scooby.
Why not refer them to this forum? :lol:

Omg why did she give you that reply when shes the one asking the question about whether or not she should have her rabbits done!! Some people are so stupid, this is like when I told my uncle I was having my rabbit neutered and he was like well when I had rabbits we never had them done you dont need it done whats the point!!!!! :censored: makes me so angry!!!!

Ooo it was actually not the lady asking for advise who replied that, it was a third person. Sorry I made that unclear. But i do agree.

When Sarah first got Elsa I was like rabbits can't live indoors... when we had rabbits as kids they lived in the garden, surely it can't be healthy for them to live indoors?!...rabbits surely arn't worth that much in vet bills?! hehe Now she, Elsa, and everyone here and changed my mind for the better :D lol

(also realise this should probably be more in normal chat not rabbit chat now... sorry :oops:)

In the words of Alan Partridge...what a mentalist! :shock:

You gotta laugh you know, I had a plank today wanting to put 3 guinea pigs in a 3x2 hutch! :censored: They have now gone to pets at home to 'buy some'!

I would rather my rescues lived their lives out here than go to someone who hasn't the foggiest idea!

Wow. That seems to be all I can say. My only guess is that she either:

A) Doesn't know how to recognize uterine cancer.
B) Doesn't have her bunnies live long enough to show symptoms.

And if she's breeding, I know that can sometimes stress rabbits more, depending how she's doing it, and shorten their lives.

Amazing. At least we have a chance to educate people who don't know anything about rabbits, or have very little knowledge. It's so much harder to try and change someone's way of thinking, especially if it has been solidified over 43 years of experience. Such a shame. :?

I don't want to challenge people but are their papers or scientic evidence that proves some of the facts about speying reducing cancer chances etc, surely there must be for it to be a fact in the first place but are there any to read online? That way there is some physical evidence to back my opinions?

Ooo thanks, I'll have a look into the resources linked :D Being at uni lets me access quite a few papers you normally have to pay for so I may use that to my advantage if it comes up hehe :D

I found this article on it which I found very interesting, yet not brain wrecking to read! :)

http://carrotcafe.com/petbunny/spay.html

The interesting thing I took from it was:

A very important finding was tight correlation between tumor incidence and age in Greene's colony. In rabbits dying between 2 and 3 years of age the incidence of cancer was 4.2%. In rabbits 5-6 years of age the incidence is 79.1% (the mythical 80%). Note: these rabbits did not necessarily DIE from the cancer, but there were tumors found in the uterus during necropsy. I don't know what the different causes of death were, but they are listed as "natural". The incidence of cancer in males and females is about the same in rabbits under two years of age, after that, the incidence in females dramatically increases over the males, primarily due to uterine cancer.

Let me know what you guys find!

I don't want to challenge people but are their papers or scientic evidence that proves some of the facts about speying reducing cancer chances etc, surely there must be for it to be a fact in the first place but are there any to read online? That way there is some physical evidence to back my opinions?

Contact many of the vets who are involved with rescue and neuter lots of rabbits a year. When ARC first started working with our vet she was anti-neutering rabbits, as a rescue we peruaded her to neuter our female rabbits for us and from her experience she now agrees that neutering them is best due to the high incidence of uterine cancer.

Donna-arc now works at our vet and has also seen the large number of rabbits who have these tumours, which has now rienforced her opinion. If this wasnt the case ARC would be less pro neutering as neutering is an additional cost to us and would save many of the people involved with it an awful lot of fundraising.

Back