• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will neutering stop him spraying

Bunnyx

Warren Scout
Does neutering a male bunny stop him spraying wee everywhere?
How long do they spray after they have been done? Pepsi is spraying everywhere at the moment and I just want to make sure that when I have him done this will stop! Also do they calm down more and stop being terrotorial? x

I think it does stop I haven't seen Joey spray in a while he's been done for about....3/4 weeks now :wave:

It won't always stop them. I still have some sprayers despite all of them being neutered for at least 18 months. It does drastically improve it though, so instead of being a regular thing it should be, at the worst, more sporadic. Hopefully it will completely stop it though.

Thanks I really do hope so hes doing it so badly lately he even does it in his hutch now! It really smells and dries all white! Sorry I have another question:lol: I have another male bunny who is nearly 5 months who I will also get neutered so when they have both been done will it be easy to bond them? They have met each other as I let them hop around the garden they both seemed quite friendly towards each other but Pepsi started sparying a bit, so I think when they have both been done they should be ok with each other as they didnt fight or anything, this was just a one off time I let them around the garden they live SEPARATE! Any tips on bonding two males would be useful!:D x

Male buns will still spray if they have reason to, like another bun living in the vacinity and he needs to mark his territory... and his wife bun if he has one!

I would advocate extreme caution bonding two males, although there are plenty on the forum who have bonded males, they are often litter mates. although not always.
If two males decide to fight the outcome can be quite vicious and result in some nasty injuries.

Take advice from the bonding experts on here before deciding what to do.

I know that males can be nasty towards each other however I think with my two I think its just the hormones which are in the way of thier friendship as like I siad I let them hop around together in the garden the odd time and they were really interested in each other Pepsi loved cookie and I could tell he just wanted to make friends however he did spray a bit as he was here first and so it is HIS territary! They will both be neutered soon though then I am going to set up a pen in a neutral area and try to bond them there!
Pepsi is 12 months old now I have to wait a little while to have him done yet, ive been advised by my vet to as he was very poorly with a virus just a few weeks ago so he said wait a few months until we know he is fully recovered!
Im so worried about the op though I lost my last bunny under anesthetic! I keep weighing up the pros and cons I would love to just click my fingers and then they would both be done, reading a few threads on here recently about people losing thier buns while having them deplummed hasnt helped I keep worrying if I lost any more from anesthetic I dont know what id do! I really would give up and be devestated!!

Back