• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying

batmobile

Mama Doe
Hello everyone,
tomorrow morning my bunny girl is going in for a spay. It is my first experience of such a thing in a rabbit (and my rescue dogs were already done when i got them) so I am understandably terribly nervous. Could someone please advise me on how best to get through it with nails left and also the procedure afterwards. How do I make sure she is comfy etc. She is an outdoor bun, well garage at the moment, in a hutch with an attached run and currently on her own. How long will it be before I can add a boyfriend for her and embark on my first (assisted) bonding? Is there anything I should know? she is so little, I am scared she will be in pain and confused etc.
Thanks.

ok firstly check your vet is rabbit savvy. make sure she eats right up until the operation unlike cats adn dogs rabbits must not be starved. ensure that cost includes a gut stimulant adn pain relief after the op.

after op bunny should be kept inside in a small caged area something like a dog crate will do, keep her warm as after the op they cannot regulate temperature for first 24-48hours these are most cruicial. bed her on soft towels or vet bed as hay and straw and woodchips can infect teh wound. she will need to be on recovery for 10days you should get a 2day post op check and a 10day post op check. the main thing is to get ehr eating give her hay in a hay rack so no bits to go in wound. give ehr a water bowl and bottel as poorly buns often wil luse a bowl, give her fresh veg such as carrot tops, spring greens, porridge oats soacked in water hipp baby food(apple and berry compote) critical care(on a saucer) dandilions soaked pellets etc anything to start her eating. by 24hours you should see her start to eat bits and pieces albeit in small amounts and she should be passing urine and pooing. if she then seems hunched in pain she may need more pain relief. colalrs should only be used as a last resort to stopping chewing.. lickign is ok if not excessive and most vets now use internal stitches with glue. dont let her jump or hop around the first few days then gradually let her hop around as it heals. dont put ehr back outside for a minimum of 7days as she needs to be kept an eye on. give her a month for homrones to settle before trying to bond with another bun and make sure he is a neutereed male and its done in neutral territory.. a rescue is useful for this! :) mostly best of luck before the op her heart rate should be checked adn general wellness..temperature... eyes, coat etc. best of luck any q's feel free to ask! x

should I bring her inside then and keep her in a pen in one of the spare rooms/ carpeted bathroom or will this make it too hard to put her back outside? I thought if I put the pen on a wooden box and newspaper and then an old pillow case etc she might be more comfortable? It sounds blooming scary! I will drop her off with some food and go and buy some nice treats on my way home. Anything to get her eating as you say. God, i wish i weren't doing this alone without some rabbit savvy people!

HI Jo:wave::wave: Sorrry..I've just got in and read your pm!!! (and now replied:lol:) Good luck and loads of vibes. You have my addy and number, so you're NOT alone!!:D

Back