• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Working People With Buns

sailaice

Young Bun
How does your bun get some outside time?

Our buns hutch is in the garage. And he has a big zooplus run in the garden he goes into roughly at about 9am and weather providing stays there all day.

OH has been unemployed (redundancy) since we got Rhubarb and now he has gone back to work, started today. He felt awful giving our little man his breakfast and then not letting him in the run - to be fair the weather is quite bad today though..

OH will be working from home a lot of the time but on the times he isn't I feel awful Rhub won't get into the run.

I do have a smaller little hutch I could put in the run and do it that way? so he can have access to the run with the little hutch in there and go back to his double decker hutch at night.... I get concerned though that if it rained he would stay out in it and not go into the little hutch?

Anyone have any suggestions? ;)

Not too sure as we are house bun people and they just free range!

However, what about a shed with an attached run? I know that when we move house thats what we shall be having...once we have a bigger garden that is.

How does your bun get some outside time?

Our buns hutch is in the garage. And he has a big zooplus run in the garden he goes into roughly at about 9am and weather providing stays there all day.

OH has been unemployed (redundancy) since we got Rhubarb and now he has gone back to work, started today. He felt awful giving our little man his breakfast and then not letting him in the run - to be fair the weather is quite bad today though..

OH will be working from home a lot of the time but on the times he isn't I feel awful Rhub won't get into the run.

I do have a smaller little hutch I could put in the run and do it that way? so he can have access to the run with the little hutch in there and go back to his double decker hutch at night.... I get concerned though that if it rained he would stay out in it and not go into the little hutch?

Anyone have any suggestions? ;)

I am a SAHM but my bun's go out regardless of if I am here or not. I have two pairs. One pair is in a hutch/run combo 24/7 and the other pair is in a hutch overnight and free range during the day. The hutch is open whatever the weather etc. The bun's do tend to have some 'rain time' however do get fed up of being wet and go back to the hutch if the weather is that bad.
hope that helps a little.

I would move him to an outdoor set up with run. Lots of sights sounds and smells outside as I imagine its quite boring in a garage as he has nothing to see. He could always move back in for the winter. This would solve the run problem as he can be let straight out if it attached. And as for rain if hes and outdoor bun rain wont hurt him but you could try and cover the run if your worried. :)

I would put the small hutch in the run and let him be out all day. When mine are free range they often sit out in the rain despite having a shed to go into :roll: I just dry them off when its time for bed.
If you are worried about him getting wet could you put the run in the garage attached to the hutch so he has permanent access? The other thing that would help if he does get wet is a friend to groom him afterwards

Mine goes out to free range the garden from 6:00 - 8:00 when I go to work he goes into his run with a tarpaulin over the top weighted with bricks in case it rains - he is fine in there with food, drink and toys till I get home then he free ranges the garden again till time to go in his hutch in the shed at bedtime.

Mine are house bunnies but cant be free range. They are out free range from 4.30pm till 11pm but during the day and overnight they are in their NIC setup.
Im off this week so they are out all day and i know im gonna feel terrible next week giving them breakfast and then leaving them locked up.

Mine are outdoors with a hutch and run all day. I let them out for an hour or two to free range when I'm home from work. I then tempt them back into their hutch by putting their evening pellets in. This seems to work for all of us :D

if im working during the day and the weather is amazing i normally just place mine in the run with shelter incase it rains if the weather is awful i normally bring them inside for a run around instead.

I will be putting the smaller hutch into the run tonight!! Yay!!

Hopefully it will stay fine all summer long and I won't have to worry about the rain :)

my pair are in a large cage in a bedroom and get let out when i get home from work (about 6pm) for the evening, i have noticed they are so used to the routine that even when i let them out for the whole day on weekends they stay in the cage area until after 6pm :shock:

:)I've seen a little house thing I am going to get for the run, its a wooden one from zooplus which will give him more space. In the meantime we are going with the smaller hutch! Yay! I feel a lot happier now! :)

Back