• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Had a Sad Rabbit Afternoon

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
A good friend of the family has just got another bun as the other one was killed due to shock of a visitor in the garden.
Anyway, she got this bun from the local :roll::roll: 'recue' who is actually banned from having rabbits thanks to Alison :mrgreen: but she heard of this bunny so decided to take it under her wing. The lady actually said that the bun had been to the vets and was in 'perfect' condition. WHAT A LOAD OF OL' BULL! It was sooo matted, scrawny and it's nails were horrific. It had such a mucky bum I nearly gagged. So I have spent all afternoon sorting the bunny out for my friend. The little mite was petrified with what I did to her as she's probably only been handled twice in her long miserable life.
She had all scabs on her back and hair missing and a terrible case of mites, so I treated that (it had spread to her other bun as well :()
The poor little girl, took nearly 2 hours sorting out one rabbit :cry: She appreciated the cuddle afterwards though.
On my way home, I saw a friend and told her what I'd been doing and the young boy with her said about his rabbit living in a 2ft hutch :cry: I nearly cried, and took him to see my bun's enclosure and showed him the minimum requirements of a rabbit hutch (my guinea pig's enclosure) and he got the idea and loved the kennel and Ghostie (told him her story) I have offered him the hutch when all my new accomodation is sorted.
So he has asked me to look at his rabbit and talk to his mum (I am bricking it) to talk about his rabbit and hutch.
Sad day to think of all the rabbits out there who don't have the life they deserve :cry:

Oh god Hetty the poor wee girl you've been helping to sort out - no wonder she loved a good cuddle after all you've done for her :cry::cry::cry:

I know what you mean though, some nights I go to bed & I just can't switch off for thinking about all the bunnies that are neglected that we can't help or don't know about. I can't imagine how people who run resuces like Angie, Kris, Jill, Liz, Theo etc cope with the constant stream of unwanted & neglected buns - it breaks my heart that people can treat buns or any animal for that matter in the awful way that they do.

I hope you go on ok when you go to talk to the little lad's mum - good on you for doing that & offering to help them out with your existing hutch etc.

A good friend of the family has just got another bun as the other one was killed due to shock of a visitor in the garden.
Anyway, she got this bun from the local :roll::roll: 'recue' who is actually banned from having rabbits thanks to Alison :mrgreen: but she heard of this bunny so decided to take it under her wing. The lady actually said that the bun had been to the vets and was in 'perfect' condition. WHAT A LOAD OF OL' BULL! It was sooo matted, scrawny and it's nails were horrific. It had such a mucky bum I nearly gagged. So I have spent all afternoon sorting the bunny out for my friend. The little mite was petrified with what I did to her as she's probably only been handled twice in her long miserable life.
She had all scabs on her back and hair missing and a terrible case of mites, so I treated that (it had spread to her other bun as well :()
The poor little girl, took nearly 2 hours sorting out one rabbit :cry: She appreciated the cuddle afterwards though.
On my way home, I saw a friend and told her what I'd been doing and the young boy with her said about his rabbit living in a 2ft hutch :cry: I nearly cried, and took him to see my bun's enclosure and showed him the minimum requirements of a rabbit hutch (my guinea pig's enclosure) and he got the idea and loved the kennel and Ghostie (told him her story) I have offered him the hutch when all my new accomodation is sorted.
So he has asked me to look at his rabbit and talk to his mum (I am bricking it) to talk about his rabbit and hutch.
Sad day to think of all the rabbits out there who don't have the life they deserve :cry:

Well done you! I know...the thought of all the poor buns out there in bad conditions is horrible :( but you should feel proud for what you did today :)

Yeah, it's just such a shame that we can't help them all.
The sad thing is, that the boy and his family love the rabbit and he was genuinely shocked with all the info I bombarded him with, and is so eager to help his bun. It's unintended cruelty :(
As for this rescue, I think Alison needs a nother visit :lol:

I try and see the upside in things like this, and it's that a hutch is a tangible and ephemeral thing. A bunny can have the biggest runs and hutches available, but if it has an ignorant owner, that rabbit will no doubt suffer at some point.

What you're giving out is education, which persists. Now that little boy will know for the rest of his life how rabbits should be treated. And maybe he has friends with bunnies and will show them how happy his bunny is, and how much room it has. Then THEY will be inspired to give their bunnies more space to play. It's just a web that spreads out and brings happiness to a lot of other buns.

I think it's a very successful afternoon, not a sad one. :) Good for you.

Back