• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

out of ideas with fierce bunny

becky d

New Kit
my 8 month old house bunny is still being super aggressive. I have tried everything i can think of - she has been spayed for 3 or 4 months now, she has a bunny friend who she loves, if I sit on the floor she will come over and have nose strokes and lie down next to me. BUT she chases me and bites me - hard - not in 'her' territory, but wherever I am (she'll seek me out). I work from home and when I'm sitting at my desk she runs over and bites my feet - hard (and she won't let go). I've tried ignoring it for several weeks but it got worse, I say 'no' in a very firm voice and sometimes she stops, but she still sneaks up and just bites me.

I've had her since a baby and she's never been ill-treated. I know lady buns can be grumpy, but her aggression is very bad towards me, or anyone who visits.

Everyone I know says I should give her away. I don't want to let her down but she is making my life utterly miserable. Any suggestions please?

Have you tried wearing wellies, it may sound strange but when she doesn't get any reaction she may give up?

Anne McBride has written a really good book called "why does my rabbit.." which covers just this problem (I have it but can't find it at the moment!)

It sounds to me that shes not aggressive but the opposite in fact,that she longs for your attention.The trouble is when she bites you,she is getting what she wants,So wearing wellys sounds a very good idea.

mmm is it possible she mybe unwell...when bertie wasnt quite right he also became like this so we took him to the vet who by chance managed to spot an ulcer on his eye....no wonder hed been so awful:shock:

i agree its a if i do this..i get a response......

We had a rabbit like that and it took 18 MONTHS before he stopped biting. I would agree with the others, protect your feet and just try and ignore but any free time you get interact with her and try and get her used to you.

I also agree with purplebumble, a vet check wouldn't go amiss in case there is something medical bothering her.

no, don't give her away, she would reproduce the same pattern ...

I had a bunny like yours who bite me for 5 years as she was very possessive of her belongings...and perhaps I was her belonging :lol: and would charge me when I stood up... so I applied the recommendations of the House Rabbit Society (in the Language of Lagomorphs) and tried to behave like a rabbit when she had free run, so I always interacted with her, lying down on the floor at her level and this seemed to calm her down..

I have a house bun called Marley who is quite aggressive towards me at times. He has gotten better after he was neutered, but still nips and bites me.

I found that he doesn't like me being in his territory-litterbox etc (which is very understandable-but was impossible to clean, I now put him in another room when I am doing the cleaning. He also bites me when he wants attention from me and will bite when he wants me to stroke him and when I stop stroking him or am not stroking him in exactly the way he wants it.

He gets very distressed when we pick him up-so we have stopped and the only time he gets picked up is when he goes to the vets or for a check over.

I agree with the other posts that you should wear more protective clothing and the bunny will hopefully stop biting when she doesn't get as much reaction from you when she does it. And also spend more time on the floor with her-acting like a rabbit.

I'm sure it will get better-it will just take time.

This link may have some useful tips... http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/aggression.html#extreme

Last edited:
Back