• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How To Start A Rescue

sidereus7

Mama Doe
Right now, I am not in a position to start a rescue (no money and I live on the 5th floor in a flat! :lol:), but I wanted to know from our rescue bun people how much it costs them and how much time do you dedicate per day to your rescue buns? What kinds of things should a person consider before starting a rescue?

Also, what is the most rewarding part and what is the most difficult part?

I really want to open a rescue when I'm in a position to do so, but I want to make sure that I go into it prepared for all contingencies.

it rather depends on how many buns you take on. A larger rescue could cost thousands of dollars a month to run with a few people working part time or even full time for it, if you just take on one or two buns at a time probably a couple of hundred dollars a month (although one bad vet bill could double your normal expenditure) and you could probably work normally alongside.....trouble is they always start off small.........

Thanks for the great link! :)

I guess my two questions still stand though.

How much time per day on average?

How much money per month?

Specifics weren't discussed in that link, and I'm sure things have changed in a year.

Thanks for the great link! :)

I guess my two questions still stand though.

How much time per day on average?

How much money per month?

Specifics weren't discussed in that link, and I'm sure things have changed in a year.

I am not a rescue and have no plans to start one! I have four bun's, two heathly and 2 who have had problems in the past. These bun's have cost me a small fortune! Hutch, runs, foods (esp when the doe was pregnant), jab's, neuters and the 2 bun's with eye problems. At a guess I have spent an easy £350/£400 since I had the original two bun's (Aug 2008.).
Now as a rescue, I would imagine the vet bills would be worst - afterall I assume that every animal through your doors would get checked? then jab'd and netured (if needed) and treatment for whatever may be wrong (and given some of the story and pictures on here that could be quite alot). Not to mention the food, hay, toys etc.

as for time, I think again you could end up sending all day and evening looking after them - ensure the hutches are clean, grooming, treating etc etc etc

To give a serious answer..it can take over your life as you cannot ever have a day off

you may only take in 3 rabbits..but if they all suddenly become ill..then your vets bills will quickly run into hundreds and you could find yourself up all night every night for quite a while

You must have finanacial security and some in reserve for emergencies

Back