• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you agree with these measurements?

Lessie

Alpha Buck
Hi

As usual I've been surfing the net for 6ft or 5ft double storey hutches which are in sale. I'm addicted looking at hutches!!!!

Anyway I went onto this site which was talking about the minimum hutch size requirements for rabbits, I wasn't sure if these measurements are suitable or not.

So what do you think about this ?

These are the recommended minimum hutch sizes for bunnies living outdoors (outdoor buns should always live in neutered, compatible pairs):

For a pair of SMALL rabbits (Netherland Dwarfs). Hutch - 10 sq ft & 2ft high /0.9 sq m & 60cm high (i.e. 5ft x 2ft x 2ft Single Storey) .

For a pair of MEDIUM rabbits. Hutch - 16 sq ft & 2 ft high / 1.44 sq m & 60cm high (i.e. 6ft x3 ft x 2ft Single Storey or 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Double Storey).

For a pair of LARGE rabbits. Hutch - 18 sq ft & 2 ft high / 1.65 sq m & 60cm high (i.e. 6ft x 3ft x 2ft Single Storey or 5ft x 2ft x 2ft Double Storey (20 sq ft)).

These do not have to be the exact measurements for each hutch, as the size can be made up with more than one storey.

Rabbit Runs (L x W x H): Run For ANY size pair of rabbits, minimum size - 6ft x 3ft x 2ft / 180cm x 90cm x 60cm (18 sq ft / 1.65 sq m)
[/I]

I thought the absoulute minimum is 5ft x 2 ft x 2ft double storey huthc or single 6ft x 2ft x 2ft for any rabbits? Apart from giants of course.

For a pair of SMALL rabbits (Netherland Dwarfs). Hutch - 10 sq ft & 2ft high /0.9 sq m & 60cm high (i.e. 5ft x 2ft x 2ft Single Storey) . Sounds reasonable

For a pair of MEDIUM rabbits. Hutch - 16 sq ft & 2 ft high / 1.44 sq m & 60cm high (i.e. 6ft x3 ft x 2ft Single Storey or 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Double Storey). I would not agree with the 4 x 2 x 2 double as a lot of the space is lost due to the ramp. Depends on what medium sized means you may be a ble to use a 6 foot x 2 x 2 hutch or even a 5 foot x 2.5 foot double storey.

For a pair of LARGE rabbits. Hutch - 18 sq ft & 2 ft high / 1.65 sq m & 60cm high (i.e. 6ft x 3ft x 2ft Single Storey or 5ft x 2ft x 2ft Double Storey (20 sq ft)). A large rabbit can cover many sizes, so a 6 x 2 x 3 foot hutch may be ok or a shed with an attatched run is also workable.

Rabbit Runs (L x W x H): Run For ANY size pair of rabbits, minimum size - 6ft x 3ft x 2ft / 180cm x 90cm x 60cm (18 sq ft / 1.65 sq m)
Rabbit runs are better if they are attatched to the hutch if the buns are large or medium sized a 6 x 3 x 2 is too small, better with a 6 x 4 minimum or bigger.

It is worth enquirying with the place you are getting your buns from if they have a set size, obviously the bigger the better and this will be more economical in the long run.

=For a pair of MEDIUM rabbits. Hutch - 16 sq ft & 2 ft high / 144 sq m & 60cm high (i.e. 6ft x3 ft x 2ft Single Storey or 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Double Storey). I would not agree with the 4 x 2 x 2 double as a lot of the space is lost due to the ramp. Depends on what medium sized means you may be a ble to use a 6 foot x 2 x 2 hutch or even a 5 foot x 2.5 foot double storey.

I agree with you, I was particularly shocked when I read that 2 medium rabbits is suitable to live in a 4ft double storey hutch....:shock:

I think a 5ft double equates to a 6ft single but if you are getting from a rescue then I would check with them about their requirements first.

Back