• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diapoo help please?

winnies angel

Mama Doe
I have a lady who contacted me from singapore. She has been having problems with her bunny with excess stools and the vets over there dont know much (basically said its 5 it should have died by now) she has been in touch with my vet and from what I gather she told her what to ask her vet to do. He done a poop test and it showed very bad gut rot bacteria?:shock:
He gave her treatment for it which was for 8 days but now on 9th day lil bun has very bad diapoo caused from medication...
Can anyone help what should she do to get stools hard again???

I'd say a probiotic, but this is one for Jack'sJane - she's the health guru on here. She'll be along soon.

Well im off to work please someone remind me later about 5 il be back on (want to get back in touch with her as soon as poss)

:wave:

If this Bun has true diarrhoea then he needs hospitalisation for IV fluids.
Bacterial gut problems are uncommon in adult Rabbits as a primary disease process and are more likely to be a secondary symptom of an underlying problem.
Was the initial problem true diarrhoea or unformed caecals?
What was the 'gut rotting bacteria' identified ?

Aswell as fluids administering cholestyramine (Questran) may help by preventing the enterotoxins from adhering to the gut wall and being absorbed causing enterotoxaemia

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/questran.html

Coliform bacteria may be involved and these are very pathogenic. Treating Bun with Metronidozole could be attempted maybe :? Metronidazole is effective against E Coli in certain circumstances but apparently not in all :?

Probiotics and long fibre are also essential-assisted feeding needed if Bun is anorexic.
Pain relief is required too.

Without very prompt treatment the prognosis is grave for a Bun with antibiotic induced diarrhoea :cry:

I have a lady who contacted me from singapore. She has been having problems with her bunny with excess stools and the vets over there dont know much (basically said its 5 it should have died by now) she has been in touch with my vet and from what I gather she told her what to ask her vet to do. He done a poop test and it showed very bad gut rot bacteria?:shock:
He gave her treatment for it which was for 8 days but now

I thought singapore is an adv. country. The average life of a bun is 8 yr., we have member whose bun live to 16 to 18 yr. of age. So age 5 is only middle age at best.

What's the diet of this bun? Is his diet compose of 90% hay?

Thanks people. It began she read page and contacted me as she was worried abot excess cecotrophes so I told her to decide whether more hay was needed etc. She had been to vet who treat bun for diapoo as he wasnt sure what was a matter and that it was old bunny anyway.
Couple of days later she said they had improved then couple more days later she contacted again saying problem was back worse hence me contacting my vet as I am not one. Then received the 1st message this morn about my vet telling her to ask her vet for what ever she did and found out about gut rot?
Let you know what happens next...

I told her what you said and this is what she asked...
The inital ones are loose cecals remember I told u about?
>
> Then after a few weeks, still the same, that's why went to vet. Is it true gut bacteria is not common in rabbits? What are underlying problems are possible?

I told her to try join here so you can speak while im at work but if you could answer incase she cant to pass on to her!

Excess unformed caecals are often a sign of poor long fibre intake leading to Dental problems.
Without knowing what bacteria was isolated in culture its impossible to guess what the Vet may have meant by 'gut rotting'. Prescribing abx for excess caecals seems odd to say the least but we dont really know the full story.

Back