• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excess Caecals

CazScho

Mama Doe
I have a trio of relatively young bunnies (6-8 months), Dillon, Jessica and Jemima. Every single day I see the odd caecal amongst the other poos. I'm certain its not Dillon as he was an indoor bunny with us for a good few months and I never saw them with him, so I think it must be either Jess or Jemime.

Every morning they get half an egg cup of pellets each, and in the evening they get a small piece of carrot each, a small piece of cucumber and a piece of celery. They get a big bundle of hay morning and evening which they seem to love. They used to get 3/4 of an egg cup of pellets and a bit more veg but I've been cutting down to try and stop these caecals, but they're still there!

So should I cut out the pellets or the veg? They look forward to both so much and stand all over each other to get to them first, but they get three separate bowls for the pellets so I know no-ones getting more than the rest and I scatter the bits of veg so they get a fair share of that too.

Any advice?

Try just one type of Veg at a time. By process of elimination you may find the culprit.
I only feed carrots once a week as they have a high sugar content. This can sometimes cause excess caecals

Do they eat grass? It is very rich at this time of year and so they may be getting too much protein with having pellets aswell. Too much protein being another cause of excess caecals.

What pellets are they on?

Oxbow Bunny Basics T.

I'll stick to just celery tomorrow and see what happens.

They haven't been on grass for the last few days either as it's been wet, and haven't been out for very long when they have.

Are the caecal in normal shape, size and consistency ? because a long time ago I had a femelle who had chronic runny caecals which was caused by a unbalanced bacteria content in the caecum ...(not the right flora...) and her stools were normal... it was just the caecals

talking about carrots : when they get slightly a bit soft, are they still good ? or do they contain much more sugar ? I avoid to give them if they are not firm

Well, I've gradually cut out veg altogether as well as pellets now, so they're on a hay only diet. I've been giving them Oat, Wheat & Barley Hay when they other buns get fed morning and evening so that they think they're getting "fed" too and they have Timothy hay the rest of time, but there are STILL odd caecal poos appearing almost every day, though not as much as on some days previously.

Do you think its just laziness or a sign of something worse? Their other poos seem be to well formed and goldeny and the caecals are the classic 'bunch of grapes'.

Bump!

Anyone else ever had this??

I'm sure if I'd posted that I had too much wind I'd have had lots of replies!!

I'm having a similar problem at the moment, I just rescued a couple of young bunnies and there have been caecal pellets around the cage in the morning. I'm gonna try and slowly change their diet and see if it helps.

I'm not quite sure how you'd do it but i is it poss to separate each one out for a while to see who is doing the excess ceaco wotsits? :?
Dont know if thats poss or not but I certainly think its odd for them to only have hay and it still be an issue.
At least if you knew which it was then vet could give them a once over, as I think thats prob the next thing I'd try if it was still persisting.
Would adding probiotic to their food help perhaps? (not sure how you'd so it with just the hay unless it can go in water, i dont know about that :oops:)
Sorry thats all i can think of :?

Back