• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice Needed...Spring humping - do i separate?? :-(

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
Dude has been chasing Poppy a lot over the last two weeks or so and today he was chasing her so much that she ran about 6 laps of the shed trying to get away from him. She went to drink from the water bottle but had to run away to stop him humping her. She's really very placid, but I noticed today that she's showing signs of the start of aggression (not that I can blame her) as she keep turning round to face him very abruptly and lunging a little to warn him off.
How long does the spring humping last for? Would i be better putting a play pen in there for one to be in, so she can get some peace but still be close to him?

I've had so much bunny stress recently and feel like tearing my hair out :cry:

Advice?

Thanks
ETA: i'd never forgive myself if they had a fight whilst i wasn't there and really worry about her suddenly going for him through frustration :cry:

Well normally I'd say reduce the amount of space they have to reduce the chasing, but he'll probably still keep humping her and thats not fare if she cant get away.

Does he take notice of her warning him off or does he chase her/show aggression towards her?

He doesn't show any aggression (they are both the most placid buns i've ever seen!) but he just keeps chasing her. I just feel like everything's getting on top of me with the bunsters right now as I've had nothing but problems recently :cry:

He doesn't show any aggression (they are both the most placid buns i've ever seen!) but he just keeps chasing her. I just feel like everything's getting on top of me with the bunsters right now as I've had nothing but problems recently :cry:

Is Angel still in the shed?
If so that will be adding to the problem.

Can you move Dude and Poppy to a small area away from other Rabbits and see if the chasing/humping stops. I think Dude is wanting to assert his position as top Bun with Poppy after his scuffle with Angel recently. The humping may not be entirely a sexual issue but a dominance one aswell Whilst he can still smell Angel things are likely to remain fraught. I really think you need to get Dude and Poppy well away from sight/sound/smell of Angel. Then restrict the area D+P have as this will discourage chasing.

Alvin and pearl have been together over a year and he still humps her the second i walk into thier room :roll:

im beginning to wonder does it ever stop?

i hope they dont fight hun :(

Only just caught back up with this (my own thread too!! :roll:)

Thanks for the replies. I have no idea what's gone on recently, but it seems to have settled back down! Dude is now eating like a King again and all's well in bunny palace :D

All buns are neutered (in answer to Jason's post).

Thanks guys. If it does start again I will def separate D&P from Angel though to see if it helps.

Ooh, they cause me so much stress, but i woudn't be without 'em! :D

:lol: Katy was humping Homer last week (I put a thread on) and I was worried as she had never done this in the 3 years they have been together and it looked like it may turn a bit aggressive but it wore off after 2 days. :roll:

:lol: Katy was humping Homer last week (I put a thread on) and I was worried as she had never done this in the 3 years they have been together and it looked like it may turn a bit aggressive but it wore off after 2 days. :roll:

Glad it's not just my two! Think there have been quite a few similar threads in the last month or so :lol:

Glad yours are back to normal too :wave:

Bean did it this morning! He occasionally has a go and then Truffle just runs away and then runs up to him and pinches his bottom. This normally results in Bean doing a binki. It does stop though after a while. He has only done it twice this month! :lol::lol:

It's probably Angel's fault:lol:

My little Suki has been bothering Alistair recently. Suki is a tiny lionhead & Alistair is a huge NZ white. She can barely reach. He's really placid & she bosses him around no end. I leave a pet carrier out for him & he backs into there when she's telling him off or trying to hump his back leg:shock::?:lol: She can snuggle up too, but there's no room for her to hassle him:lol:

Back