• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - Cant get bunny to eat anything

twinkle4041

Young Bun
Hiya
Had my bunny at the vets every day, she had her back teeth ground down cos they were growing into her cheek. This was thursday. Vet has given me supreme science to syringe into her, suggested i try her with other foods to get her eating as she hasnt done any droppings cos she isnt eating.
I have tried apple, pineapple, melon, kale, blended carrot, spinich, as well as her usual kale, burgess supa rabbit. Shes fed on timothy hay, meadow hay and alfalfa but hasnt touched that either.
Shes a had a little bit of iceberg thats the only thing that has enticed her.. does anyone have any suggestions? i am back again to the vets tomorrow, have been every day since thursday, and getting a little worried about her now..

Is she on painkillers?

I can relate a lot because one of mine is struggling too after his dental. It's not a fun place to be.

The vet has been giving her 4 different injections each time i go, and today he gave her something to increase her appetite. I tried syringing some carrots today but she wouldnt take it, and i could hear a grinding noise i thought it was her front teeth, not sure if this is normal when they chew..but the vet has checked her teeth and said they look fine now.. goodness knows what else to try her on, i have even picked a few dandelions shes eaten a bit of them but that and the iceberg is the only thing..
:cry:

I assume since she has seen a vet that she has had a feel of her tummy and there isnt a bloackage. I which case you need to make sure she has had some painkillers and syringe feed her. A bunny in pain wont eat.

Have you tried parsley? Its quite strong smelling and I have read that it tempts a few bunnies back into eating. Or dandelion leaves.

The vet has been giving her 4 different injections each time i go, and today he gave her something to increase her appetite. I tried syringing some carrots today but she wouldnt take it, and i could hear a grinding noise i thought it was her front teeth, not sure if this is normal when they chew..but the vet has checked her teeth and said they look fine now.. goodness knows what else to try her on, i have even picked a few dandelions shes eaten a bit of them but that and the iceberg is the only thing..
:cry:

Check on your receipt and see if you can find out which drugs she was given.You should expect to see Metacam on there which is a painkiller.

Been there to last week with one of mine after tooth burring. Parsley, coriander and watercress got him eating again and pooing. Good luck, I know how worrying it is.X

oh he mentioned parsley today but the shops i went in(late shops) supermarkets were closed didnt have parsley, shes had a bit of dandelion wasnt sure if she was ok with leaves i will try her on that too thanks. The vet has felt her stomach but says there is no blockage.

has she had any of the supreme science will she take it down? In the end I had to put mine on a table with her bum into me and lift her head up to feed her so that she started swallowing it worked also after a long night when she hadn't eaten a lot Matilda ate basil which got her whole appetite going. Good luck x

yes i can get the supreme science down she will lie on my knee while i get it down her, will add basil to the list to, its horrible to see them like this she looks so depressed..

Ahh bless she will be ok as long as you keep getting something into her keep her warm too, it does sound like she might still be in pain. Is she drinking?

My bunnies love mint. It so worrying isn't it? Sounds good that you are getting the recovery food into her. Is she pooing yet? When my rabbits have been off food it was slow getting them back. Took a few days before she was pooing and then they were only little ones. Have faith and keep being calm around her. Sending you calm bunny healing thoughts. Jo

i have been syringing water into her but i have noticed her at her bottle too. Shes inside at the moment as i didnt want to leaver her outside, least i there i can keep an eye on her.

It's good she is drinking and she is getting some food into her. And really good she is eating a few bits and pieces whole. If she is on painkillers, maybe you can ask the vet if you can administer them at home, so she doesn't have to keep going to the vets? I have had periods where I was grinding up metaclop into juice and giving metacam orally to help my bunny recover at home. it is stressful for both of you going to the vets every day. I'm sure knowing she can relax at home will help her belly.
I have done all the same things you are doing and my bunnies recovered. Just took longer than I wanted it too! Good luck. Jo

seen one tiny poo but no currants, just got some dandelion leaves shes had a chew on one and had he iceberg i had left out so shes eating something at least!

Hope she gets back to normal very soon.

Gosh, I'm getting nervous now. Lola is having ups and downs of eating and not eating. I've booked her in for a dental on Thursday and now worried that we will be at square one again on Friday :cry:

I assume since you see the vet daily, that there is no bloat. then you have to forcefeed her.

1) Get some non-meat baby food, use a syringe to suck up the baby food, get a cup of hot water, dump the syringe in the hot water for 2 min., now the syringe is warm, so you now syringe feed the baby food to your bun.

Every 1Kg of bunny weight, get 100 ml of food inside him per 24 hr.

OR

2) Get some blackberry or raspberry, smash it via juicer. You need about 6 oz. Get some hay stem, cut the stem in 1 mm length, mixed it w/ the blackberry. Put the mixture in a 35 ml syringe and force feed your bun. Your bun need the fiber to survive.

You need to force feed your bun via syringe. If a bun doesn't eat, he will die

Has your vet done any x-ray surround the upper jaw? There can be teeth growing towards the jaw.

What other symptoms does your bun have?

Oh bless him, poor little bun.

I can vouch for basil - that always gets my buns eating, and mint. They like the strong odour, the fresher the better.

Poor you, I hope bun starts to feel better soon. :)

Back