• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Engemycin burn?

Hiya,

my bunny Nosey is getting Engemycin injections every three days because of his jaw abscess (see Abscess advice please). He has now developed some scabs on his neck (see picture), we first thought he just scratched himself but it looks like they are at the injection site, the one on the right was the first one but after his last injection two days ago he developed another one (the one on the left) where we injected him. Can Engemycin cause burns like Baytril (I have read about Baytril Burns on here)?

IMG_0719.jpg

Problems is he needs to be on the antibiotics long term and if it caused the scabs it's not very good so what are our options?

He has a check up on Tuesday at the vets, but maybe someone of you can give me some advice.

Thanks,
Anne

Yes I have heard this before - are you doing the injections or is the vet doing them? If you're doing them at home, it might be worth asking for some extra needles, and changing the needle before doing the injection, as this can lessen the risk. I've also heard that the 'burns' are more prevalent if you accidentally get any of it intradermally rather than subcut, so again get a needle type that you're comfortable with, make sure it's well inserted, and stick with one needle type.

Santa has been through phases of injections of both engemycin and baytril and she has occasionally had burns from both, but not routinely. For me, it seems to happen after I've not done it for a while or have a different needle to the one I'm used to, so I think there is a certain amount of technique that seems to make it less likely.

Hiya,

thanks for your reply, it's very much appreciated. We are giving the injections ourselves, so it's best to use a new needle to inject instead the one we use for getting the antiobiotics out of the bottle if I got you right? I have a box of 100 needles so that's not a problem.

I don't know if it's because when we pull the needle out, he doesn't like it and starts to figet when we do it, so is it best to pull it out quickly or slowly?

Thanks,
Anne

Back