• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

wet smelly bum and bald patches?

gil

Mama Doe
just noticed that Lucy bun has a wet smelly bum and has lost fur on the inside of her leg. have cleaned her up as best we can, she's fine otherwise, eating etc. anyone any ideas what this is?

Joey had this as a baby I think it was because I gave him too much veg too soon once I laid off the veg he was okay. The vet did have to cut out a matt that it caused though :(

it sounds like urine scold this can be causaed by :
could be incontinace.. sitting in water bowl..sitting in wet litter tray uncontrolled bladder movements adn runny stools... maybe from other things too alternativly the boldness could be from mites. get to a vet to check out. various reasons for incontinace ec, kidney problems and old age being just some.
edit when you say smelly... it could be an infection or it could be smell of urine or poo is runy stools. x

thanks-the smell is a urine smell, her poos seem ok. managed to get the matt cleared away plus she got a shampoo and blow dry. will definitely be taking her to the vet. but am keen to hear other opinios on what could be the cause. i did think 1 side of her inside left of genital area was slightly swollen but wasn't sure?

Causes of incontinence include:

Urinary tract infection
Kidney infection
Kidney damage
Bladder sludge or stones
Calcification or kidney stones
E. cuniculi
Injuries causing damage to the nerves controlling urination
diuretics and diuretic plants such as dandelions

Other (rare) causes include diabetes melitis/insipidus

Sounds like it could be a urine infection just had a rabbit with one and got a guinea pig with one . My rabbit got a course of baytril and some metacam and he is back to normal ;) , while he was like that i cut away the fur from his tail , washed his bum , dried his fur and put sudacrem on to protect his skin ;)

Back