• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP! Limping- VHD?

marleyandme

Mama Doe
Hi,

We got Bella a week today and she has been settling in fine. Late last night I noiced her limping a little on her front paw, I picked her up and looked at the paw and there is no sign of any injury-her nails aren't long enough to be causing a problem and there is no cut or any blood. We have been extra careful since we have got her and have not picked her up-so she hasn't been dropped, we haven't stood on her, she also hasn't jumped from a height to cause this and as there is no marks I don't think Marley could have bitten her.

She had her VHD yesterday, could this have caused this? I have done a search on google and it comes up a few times.

Can anybody help?

xx

Have just called the emergency vets-they say that it is a possiblity that it could be caused by the VHD as she might be sore down one side, but they think that it is unlikely.

I'm taking her down now to get checked out. Hope it's all ok!

Was it the Cylap injection she had? The Cylap limp is pretty well documented as a side effect, unfortunately.

Please let us know how you get on at the vets. I hope she is ok.

Definately sounds like a post VHD Limp to me. Especially if it was the CYLAP Vaccine.
A couple of days on anti-inflammatories should resolve things.
Dont be surprised if the Vet says a post vaccination limp does not occur. It does, the manufacturers of the vaccine know it does but they still refuse to put it on the Data Information Sheet :roll:

Definately sounds like a post VHD Limp to me. Especially if it was the CYLAP Vaccine.
A couple of days on anti-inflammatories should resolve things.
Dont be surprised if the Vet says a post vaccination limp does not occur. It does, the manufacturers of the vaccine know it does but they still refuse to put it on the Data Information Sheet :roll:

Thank you so much!! It was cylap she had. We're just about to leave for the vets now. Is metacam the best anti-inflammatory?

Thank you so much guys! I had gotten a little panicked!

She has been to the vets and has had some metacam. I am to watch her for a few days to see how it goes and if worried to take her back to my normal vet. She got an injection of metacam-hope that this is right and she doesn't need another dose tomorrow, the vet said it lasts for 2 days?

The emergency vet disagreed that it was the cylap and thinks it's a sprain! I didn't realise it was so common for there to be a post vhd limp. Does this mean she will get it the next time she has the vhd again?

Thanks again, I don't know where I would be without this forum! :) Makes me realise how little I know about rabbit medicine-need to swot up on it!

Last edited:
Thank you so much guys! I had gotten a little panicked!

She has been to the vets and has had some metacam. I am to watch her for a few days to see how it goes and if worried to take her back to my normal vet. She got an injection of metacam-hope that this is right and she doesn't need another dose tomorrow, the vet said it lasts for 2 days?

The emergency vet disagreed that it was the cylap and thinks it's a sprain! I didn't realise it was so common for there to be a post vhd limp. Does this mean she will get it the next time she has the vhd again?

Thanks again, I don't know where I would be without this forum! :) Makes me realise how little I know about rabbit medicine-need to swot up on it!

Well at least your Vet didnt do what some have and thats GA and Xray the Rabbit and present the owner with a £200 bill because 'according to the Cylap VHD Vac Data Sheet no limp occurs'.............:roll:

Metacam can be given every day but hopefully one dose will be enough.
I'd ask for the LAPINJECT VHD Vaccine next time..............

Hope Buns sore leg feels better very soon :)

Well at least your Vet didnt do what some have and thats GA and Xray the Rabbit and present the owner with a £200 bill because 'according to the Cylap VHD Vac Data Sheet no limp occurs'.............:roll:

Metacam can be given every day but hopefully one dose will be enough.
I'd ask for the LAPINJECT VHD Vaccine next time..............

Hope Buns sore leg feels better very soon :)

Ok..lapinject vhd.. I'll write that down. The cost of the vets today was £70-not bad! I was expecting a whopper bill. I'm so glad she didn't try to do an x-ray! She said the only way the cylap could have caused it was if bella struggled (which she didn't) when getting the injection and hurt herself :roll:

I'm gonna keep a close eye on Bella...poor baby, she has only been here a week and she must now associate me with stressful vet trips and pain! :( I feel awful for her. She's munching on some hay now, which is great. I hope her leg gets better soon.

Thank you soo much Jacks-Jane for all your advice-it really helped today :)

Ok..lapinject vhd.. I'll write that down. The cost of the vets today was £70-not bad! I was expecting a whopper bill. I'm so glad she didn't try to do an x-ray! She said the only way the cylap could have caused it was if bella struggled (which she didn't) when getting the injection and hurt herself :roll:

I'm gonna keep a close eye on Bella...poor baby, she has only been here a week and she must now associate me with stressful vet trips and pain! :( I feel awful for her. She's munching on some hay now, which is great. I hope her leg gets better soon.

Thank you soo much Jacks-Jane for all your advice-it really helped today :)

No problem :)

A couple of my buns have had the post VHD limp with the cylap injection and none of them struggled during it, it definately does happen and i wish they would recognise it :roll: I always ask for lapinject now and have had no problems at all (touches wood) with this vac. Hope she feels better soon x

Hiya. How's Bella doing today? I just wanted to say that you shouldn't worry - she's going to be fine. My buns Ginger and Pickles had their VHD jabs on Friday evening, and on Saturday I was panicking because they couldn't hop properly. I asked my sister, who's a vet, and she explained that although the vet will never tell you it's just a reaction to the injection, (due, as the others said, to the manufacturer's denial) that is all it is. Lapinject has a much lower chance of causing this limp, so try and get it next time if you can - I know I will! Anyway, Ginger and Pickle are completely normal again today.

Is Bella a house bunny? If not, and you're planning on putting her in a hutch or more than one level, I'd wait until the limp has worn off, (should be today or tomorrow) just incase she falls on the ladder.

Have great fun with her!

xx

Hiya. How's Bella doing today? I just wanted to say that you shouldn't worry - she's going to be fine. My buns Ginger and Pickles had their VHD jabs on Friday evening, and on Saturday I was panicking because they couldn't hop properly. I asked my sister, who's a vet, and she explained that although the vet will never tell you it's just a reaction to the injection, (due, as the others said, to the manufacturer's denial) that is all it is. Lapinject has a much lower chance of causing this limp, so try and get it next time if you can - I know I will! Anyway, Ginger and Pickle are completely normal again today.

Is Bella a house bunny? If not, and you're planning on putting her in a hutch or more than one level, I'd wait until the limp has worn off, (should be today or tomorrow) just incase she falls on the ladder.

Have great fun with her!

xx

Thank you! I'm glad ginger and pickle are doing fine (love the names!). Must be nice to have a sister who is a vet!:) Bella is doing much better-we noticed a huge difference as soon as the metcam had kicked in. She seems to be hopping about better and is putting more weight through the paw and seems happier in herself. Will definitely be asking for lapinject next time- I feel awful that I didn't know about this side effect with the vhd.

She's a house rabbit and lives with our other house rabbit Marley-he has been taking good care of her and snuggling with her:love: , but I will keep a close eye on her to make sure she doesn't damage herself.

Once again, thanks for everyone's help! :wave:

CYLAP side effects

I would like to mention the side effects that my rabbit has had with Cylap so that there's a record on the Internet.

He had his first injection when he was about 4 or 5 months old. The following day, he could hardly move. It wasn't just a limp. He was hopping with great difficulties and seemed to be in great pain. The following day he was ok.
Then he was fine with his yearly booster until this year. He's now 5 years and 6 months. So he's not normally as agile as he used to, but the day following the injection his hind legs were splitting sideways and he stopped eating. I have a great vet who's quite familiar with rabbits and did say that he had never seen anything like this with Cylap. But there was no doubt that it was a reaction to the vaccine. So he gave him an injection of Metacam + some Zantax to prevent any damage to the intestines caused by Metacam and some probiotics to help strengthen the flora.
That's the 5th day today and although he has made some slow progress, he's still not back to his normal eating patterns. I am hoping he will be ok with a lot of TLC.

So I guess that if he pulls through and makes it another year, I'll ask the vet to change to Lapinject.

VHD Limp

Hi ... I have just registered to this website this afternoon having taken my 14-week old bunnies for their VHD jabs yesterday morning. Stewie (male) and Cassie (female) are both feeling the effects of the vaccine. They are much quieter than normal - not eating as much as usual, don't want to go out in the garden for their daily run and appear to be very sleepy. Stewie has also developed a limp which we noticed this morning. At first we thought he might have hurt it on a holly leaf when he was sprinting around the garden yesterday but having researched side effects of the VHD vaccine, I am now convinced that it is the jab that has caused it. We have checked the paw and it appears unharmed and he isn't pulling away so doesn't appear to be in pain. Has anybody else had this problem? If so, does it just go away on its own or will he have to go back to the vet for treatment?

Back