• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Beebee....sounds chesty

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
Just a little concerned about my Nethie dwarf.Hes coming up 6 months and at the moment hes a little snorty/grunty.
he went to the vets 26th March for his VHD.I thought he sounded a bit odd on this day and the vet checked him out and said it was probably fear.Chest ok.Ive not heard the sound again till today when I was cuddling him and again,its back but seems to be all the time now and snorty/snotty.
Could it be anxiety?? A cold?? hes eating,drinking and running about ok.
Mrs Bun is well.Nothing from her but they are kept apart.
Any ideas??? Thanks.xx

Rabbits dont get 'colds' but they do get upper respiratory tract infectios known as 'Snuffles'. Nethies and other short nose breeds are particularly prone to this condition. I would take BeeBee back to your Vet to be re-examined.
Good luck :)

Mmm..thanks.Food for thought.Ive checked him tonight when I got in from work......took him out and would you believe it,nothing.No snorts,snivvles,absolutely fine.
Anyone got any info on snuffles, i would be grateful....meanwhile,a trip to the vets just to be safe.Thanks Jane.xx

i would take him back to the vets to be re checked.

both my two have snuffles. matt had a runny nose and snotty sneezing, whereas bisc had sneezing fits but never any discharge from them. so different symptoms but still both have the same condition so it is possible your bun has snuffles even with no discharge from the nose or eyes, but like i said, go back to the vets again and see what they think. :)

Rabbits dont get 'colds' but they do get upper respiratory tract infectios known as 'Snuffles'. Nethies and other short nose breeds are particularly prone to this condition. I would take BeeBee back to your Vet to be re-examined.
Good luck :)

Can I just say off topic than Jane you are a friggin bunny genius :D

Mmm..thanks.Food for thought.Ive checked him tonight when I got in from work......took him out and would you believe it,nothing.No snorts,snivvles,absolutely fine.
Anyone got any info on snuffles, i would be grateful....meanwhile,a trip to the vets just to be safe.Thanks Jane.xx

'Snuffles' is the term used to describe symptoms of sneezing/snotty nose/gunky eyes in Rabbits. It is caused by certain bacteria, often those of the Pasteurella strain. Many Rabbits carry Pasteurella but remain asymptomatic. Symtoms can flare up at times of stress or during concurrent illness.
Dental problems with tooth root elongation involvement can also cause 'Snuffles' symtoms to occur as the tooth roots overgrow and block the nasolacrimal ducts (tear ducts) and/or penetrate the nasal passages.

If a Rabbit presents with clinical symptoms of Snuffles prompt Veterinary treatment is always needed as left untreated the condition can progress to Pneumonia which may be fatal. Whilst antibiotics may get rid of the symptoms it is seldom possible to fully eradicate the bacteria. The Rabbits own immune system needs to 'keep ontop of it' so to speak. Relapses can occur, particularly at times of stress.

If the Snuffles is due to tooth root elongation then this is a lifelong problem requiring ongoing monitoring and treatment as and when needed.

*Warning Graphic Photos in this link*

http://www.lbah.com/rabbits/pasteurella.htm#symptoms

Last edited:
Awwwwww well any bits of knowledge I may have just comes from what nursing some of my poorly Buns has taught me. I am always trying to learn about these fascinating little animals :love:

Jane...Thankyou very much for all the info.
If its ok, I will keep you informed with Beebees visit to his Aunty Cathy!!
Are you a vet nurse or something?? From toilet cisterns..a mind of unlimited information..xxx:lol:

Jane...Thankyou very much for all the info.
If its ok, I will keep you informed with Beebees visit to his Aunty Cathy!!
Are you a vet nurse or something?? From toilet cisterns..a mind of unlimited information..xxx:lol:

No I am not a VN. Just obsessed by anything and everything to do with Rabbits !!

Toilet cisterns remain a mystery to me as do most other things !! :lol:

Back