• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blood Flecks around Eye

PomandRi

Alpha Buck
DSC00895.jpg

This is my darling Pom (taken on a windy day, she is not usually that dishevelled). Pom was a rescue bun and when she was a baby she was kept in very bad conditions so that she had severe eye infections and now has permanently blocked tearducts - the vet has tried to flush them on numerous occasions but has told us that they are too blocked with scar tissue to ever clear. Despite this, she is a very friendly and happy bun.

We bathe Pom's eyes regularly and apply Maxitrol eyedrops. She and her husbun are quite good at washing her eyes and they usually look quite good. However, I have noticed that she occasionally gets flecks of blood around her eyes.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how these might be caused? Could her eyes be irritated and she is scratching them? Any ideas / suggestions for helping her would be much appreciated.

Could she have an allergy, one of mine is allergic to pets@home straw. He suffers bad eyes when he is near it.

Ooh, that's blinded me with science! :shock:

The answer is 'no', should she be having this done?

Is it a test on the eyeball itself? The blood flecks are actually around her eye, on the membranes around her eye rather than the eye itself.

Ooh, that's blinded me with science! :shock:

The answer is 'no', should she be having this done?

Is it a test on the eyeball itself? The blood flecks are actually around her eye, on the membranes around her eye rather than the eye itself.

Do you mean the conjunctiva, the insides of the eyelids? This is an inflammatory response to an irritant or infection ie 'Conjunctivitis'

Longterm use of Maxitrol can lead to Glaucoma (increased pressure within the eye) so it is advisable to monitor things.

Without seeing a picture it is hard to say.

I know when eyes become sore they try to heal themselves by creating extra blood supplies, this shows up as lots of extra tiny capillaries which can be seen in the whites of the eye, inside the eyelids and if bad enough on the actual eye ball itself. This is harder to see because of the dark colour of the eye.

Do you think this is a possibility for your bunny?

Back