• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excel rabbit food / problems

the bunny girl

Warren Scout
I dont know if this is the right part of the forum but ... I would like to know if anyone has problems with their rabbit stopping eating and or looks like stasis ? Had teeth problems ruled out and no reason seen for the rabbit to stop eating ?

For future reference I would have put this in the rabbit care section as most people look there. How long has it been seen your rabbit ate? Hay, veg or pellets as a bunny that stops eating needs to see a vet ASAP or is it just pellets he wont eat?. Is your bunny pooing normally?

Maybe that's the food the rabbit is now refusing to eat? Any rabbit not eating needs to see a rabbit-savvy vet as a matter of urgency. They can go downhill really quickly :( Try tempting bunny with dandelion leaves but really a vet needs to check there's no blockage and to give painkillers etc.

For future reference I would have put this in the rabbit care section as most people look there. How long has it been seen your rabbit ate? Hay, veg or pellets as a bunny that stops eating needs to see a vet ASAP or is it just pellets he wont eat?. Is your bunny pooing normally?
Rabbit been to vet , had dental and xrays nothing found to be wrong with teeth . He wont eat anything but banana . I have an other rabbit inside who went off his mix but will eat some veg , fruit , fresh grass

Is the bunny new to Excel?
It's not like a rabbit to go off it's pellets, especially as Excel is so yummy!

Hi hun x yes i saw this and spoke to the vet about it too , she says they can change it without telling us anything ;) . I have also read a link from an other thread on here and it says you can get mould spores from the hay or mix so just trying to see if anyone else got any problems with this mix ;)

Hi. :wave: Does the Excel smell and look OK? Moulds in food can be a real worry, but it sounds to me like a continuation of his dental problems, as you suspected - especially since you've tried lots of other herbs and grass etc. Hope he's feeling better soon. x

It looks like a bun is not used to the new excel rabbit food. As you know, a bun's stomach is very sensitive to change of pellet.

Now, a bun's diet must compose of 90% hay, then the remaining 10% is pellet, green and fruit and treats.

So your bun shouldn't be eating more than 2 teaspoon of pellet to begin with. In other words, a change of pellet for only 2 teaspoon won't affect his diet much.

Just make sure he's eating 90% hay as his diet.

If your bun is in GI stasis, click this link:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=124510

Misty was PTS this morning :cry: , he had something going on with his kidneys and the vet wouldn't take the risk of putting him under for a dental so i had him PTS

I dont know if this is the right part of the forum but ... I would like to know if anyone has problems with their rabbit stopping eating and or looks like stasis ? Had teeth problems ruled out and no reason seen for the rabbit to stop eating ?

I'm so glad you've asked that question as we have four bunnies who have had the same problem recently. Our problem started about six weeks ago, when we noticed our mama bunny, Rosie, was poorly, quite weak. We got her to the vet and ileus was diagnosed. No obvious cause. She spent three nights in the vet hospital, being given gut motility drugs etc and being syringe fed every hour to get the gut working again We took along fresh veg to try to encourage her to eat. When we brought her home on the third day she had just started eating again and we had to continue to encourage her to eat through the day and night for the next few days. So after about six days she was well enough to go back out with the other buns. They are all neutered but this sparked a fight between the others, because of heirarchy issues I suppose, which resulted in one small bunny with a split ear and a very grumpy - deposed from his new position - bunny. None of them have been eating very well and a second bunny has since had to go to the vet with the same problem - gastric stasis. So again, we've been waking him to feed often and tempting with foods they like. Pieces of carrot, apple, pear they enjoy and Bramble leaves, nettles and dandelion leaves have proved to be good, along with parsley, coriander, basil and such like. We are now also adding a probiotic to their daily water.Our four bunnies used to live happily together in the summerhouse with daily access to the garden, but the last few weeks have been horrendous as we have had to split them up because of aggression - maybe because they are not feeling well - who knows! Neither we nor the vet have been able to work out why the bunnies should have become sick - my thought is that we had a large bag of Excel pellets that stayed in our conservatory (which gets very hot on a sunny day) before being moved to the summerhouse and which they were being fed from during this period. I wondered whether the heat had created condensation within the bag and set up some kind of mould growth or bacterial growth or something. A wild guess! It would be great if anyone else has any experience like this which would shed some light on why this has happened and suggestions as to re-bonding four very stroppy (well, not Rosie - she's fine now) bunnies, so that they all live happily ever after. Thanks for reading:wave:
PS So sorry to hear of your loss, bunny girl. It's never easy.

Last edited:
Back